Family Gathering

Pairing: Chris Evans x reader

Prompt: "I'm too sober for this." "You don't drink." "Maybe I should start."

"On a scale of one to ten how much to we actually have to do this?" You asked Chris as walked inside the hotel.

"It's not going to be that bad, I promise." He said and set his arm around your shoulders. "They're your family, it can't be that bad."

You chuckled. "There's a reason we haven't spent very much time with them when they're in town."

He stopped the two of you in the middle of the hallway before you walked into the bar, right in front of a posterboard with the faces of your cousin and his soon to be wife. He turned to you and held your shoulders in your hands. "We're in this together. And if it sucks absolute ass, we'll suffer through it together and we'll have a really good story to tell people when we get back home."

You tried to roll your eyes and pretend to be annoyed, but you couldn't help but smile. "You're right, you're right." You sighed.

"I usually am." He smiled and kissed you. "Into the belly of the beast we go." He held out his arm for you to take and you walked inside together. You were instantly overwhelmed by the people inside the bar. You always knew how large your family was, but seeing them all together in a small space was a lot to take in.

"Oh dear God." You muttered and squeezed Chris' arm a little tighter.

"Everything is gonna be fine." He reassured you.

Before you could even try to make a run for it, your cousin Allie came running up to the two of you. "Oh my gosh, Y/N I'm so glad you could make it!" She shouted to you over the noise of everyone else. "How are you?" You tried to answer but she had already turned her attention over to Chris. "And look at this man over here. Still can't believe she managed to snap you up." She playfully grabbed his arm and you tried not to laugh at how obviously she was feeling for his muscles.

He turned to look over at you and smiled. "I'm just surprised she can put up with me so well." He said.

"It was nice to see you, Allie. We're gonna head over to the bar." You said quickly and the two of you slipped away from her as fast as possible.

"I think I'm starting to see why you don't like some of your cousins." He laughed.

"Allie is nothing if not bold, I have to give her that."

"I kind of like the way you got all defensive about your boyfriend getting felt up by another girl."

You rolled your eyes at him. "I wouldn't get your hopes up there." You joked. "Most of the others will probably try and squeeze you for money or some kind of credit on your next movie."

"Looks like we've got incoming." You turned to look in the same direction as Chris and saw your least favorite uncle, Frank, making his way through the crowd enthusiastically towards the two of you.

You snapped back to face Chris. "I'm too sober for this."

"You don't drink." He said, matter-of-factly.

"Maybe I should start." You sighed. You'd been inside for less than ten minutes and it already felt like being in a cell.

He chuckled and shook his head. "I think I have an idea." He whispered to you as your uncle finally made it over.

"Oh Y/N, it is so great to see you here tonight. And bringing this guy with you wow I-"

Chris quickly interrupted him. "Sorry, I don't do pictures at private events. I'd like to spend some personal time with my girlfriend." He turned his back toward him and you could see him trying to hold in a laugh. Your uncle looked truly baffled before he walked away, no doubt to talk shit about Chris to the rest of the family.

"I cannot believe you just did that."

"Hopefully that will keep them off our backs for the rest of the weekend." He put his arm around your shoulders and gave you a squeeze. "How pissed do you think they'd be if I proposed during the ceremony?"

You burst out laughing at the idea. "I don't think I'd ever be invited to another family event."

He shrugged with a coy smile. "Let's get you that drink."