future| 14- Lacuna

Lacuna
an absent part, especially in a book or other piece of writing.

They were in an expensive box in the equally expensive theater. Naoto was looking around excitedly, amarinthe eyes glimmering in interest. Meanwhile, Dhalia already mentally prepared herself to watch the most historically inaccurate play ever. Tristan, from beside her was already looking ashen before the lights dimmed and the spotlights came on.

No matter how much she mentally prepared, it still wasn't enough for the offending fiction they had to watch. It was not only historically inaccurate but also cringe worthy!

For sure she wasn't galloping around Cobalt Castle's endless gardens with Tristan!

Around that time she was sure their marriage was already beyond hope, and Tristan was already preparing the revolution with Marco.

So that's how she's written in history huh?— the loving wife of Duke Arseni. The woman who sacrificed her life to defeat a common enemy. The story ends with "Tristan" holding his wife and son's dead bodies, crying in anguish with the spotlight on him.

Tristan was glaring daggers at the scene.

"I warned you, the most ridiculous play you'll ever watch." He said dryly, looking as if he wanted to erase the past hour and a half of his life. "Naoto didn't die there.... I took him to the hospital first."

"Tristan..." She contemplated whether she would ask this. But for sure before she died, she made sure Nao was safe first.

"I'll tell you, but first, don't blame yourself," He said that as a warning. "Naoto....." He said slowly, gauging her reaction. "When I got there, Naoto dealt a finishing blow on his grandfather. But his body wasn't able to handle that much amount of mana. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the succession seal, but he tried to open it forcefully for the attack, so it rebounded on him. It was... a total burnout."

When she met Naoto in the land of the dead, he was smiling brightly as he ran up to her and hugged her. He told her he was happy to meet her again, and he was happy that he was no longer in pain but at the same time, he also told her that he worries for his father.

At that moment, she felt something akin to disappointment and hatred for Tristan. She understood that he was wary of her for being the daughter of his enemy and tormentor... but how could he let their son die?

She remembered the early years of their marriage where they tried to trust each other. But ultimately, she lost his trust due to the death of his best friend before. King Auguste would always remain a wall between the two of them. The moment he turned his back on her when she begged him to stay— she understood that it truly is over for them.

She never held a grudge on him for that but Naoto is a different story. Naoto is their son, and someone who always looks up to him. Naoto isn't just a Di Carita, he was also an Arseni. His blood.

For the longest time, she hated that Tristan let their son die. Naoto, who was the only good thing in her awful life.

But to know that it was also indirectly her fault.....

"Mom, Dad, the play is done," Naoto suddenly cut in, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He fell asleep halfway through as apparently, it wasn't interesting enough for a child. "Can't we go to the cake shop yet?"

As if belatedly noticing the mood between his parents, he looked up at them back and forth.