present| 1 - land of the living

He felt his throat constricting. It is true that there was an emergency in the gates of the dead. He had already captured convicts and felons that desperately crawled back up to the land of the living.

He shouldn't have been here to see the gates close.

There she was, on the other side. She was wearing the same clothes as when she died, frozen in time. He had been forgetting how she looked like all these years, only for her to appear before him now. The same locks of brown hair cascading down her shoulders. She was holding on to the hand of a young boy— their son.

Where they are, the world seemed so bright, and warm. An unfamiliar world, different from the living hell he was experiencing.

The boy, blinked, recognizing him. Naoto smiled brightly, two front teeth still missing. He waved happily, from the other side.

His wife, however, seemed to have not yet noticed him.

He had long since killed off his humanity and lived for duty. His duty above all. It had always been like that even when they were alive. And even after they died.

"Arseni—  If you have any conscience left, stay here." Clement Alarie, from beside him remarked bitterly while staring at the image of Dhalia. Clement had been one of Marco's generals, and he along with Sumire Laurel had grown fond of Dhalia.

And then she turned to look at him.

Same lilac eyes.

Why did he even

She frowned at him.