future |9 - that's from your side of the family

"Can the Royal Family actually do that?"

Tristan asked, both in awe and mild terror. His son, Nao had been standing in the middle of carnage, unblinking— with the God of Death hanging like a dark cloud behind him and collecting the souls of the cult members.

"I'm pretty sure Spirit Manipulation is the Arseni line's ability." Dhalia muttered, in the same level of shock. "That's from your side of the family."

"He shouldn't have that much mana."

"I lied. You know why they revived Nao as well? It's because I actually sealed half of King Auguste's mana on Nao, so uh, no child should have that much mana, but Nao has."

Apparently, Nao did not need saving after all. This, had been one of the reasons why their families never mingled. For the sake of bloodline purity, and for fear of ability mutations like this. King Auguste only married Dhalia off to him back then because she had been holding her ability back. King Auguste thought that Dhalia was a failure as a di Carita and as his daughter for not being to summon any mythical creature and for having weak mana.

And mutations like this also happens....

The Arseni bloodline could control the gates of the netherworld, and use stray souls they collected in battle. The di Carita bloodline on the other had could summon mythical creatures from the cradle of gods. Combine the two together and here they have this—

A seven year old child summoning the Reaper of Souls himself.

So that's why the Allarie of demonic aura tried to vehemently keep their bloodline pure, in fear of losing their ability, and in fear of mutations.

"Dhalia, stand back," He pushed Dhalia behind him, as one of the distressed souls that Nao summoned came at them. Tristan immediately set up a ghastly barrier.

"I don't know why you bothered to protect me when I'm dead anyway," she commented dryly. "He probably can't recognize us. This is his first time doing this and summoning drains mana real quick and—"

"Spiritual manipulation is mentally taxing," He finished. "I know this. I could calm him down." As he held a hand on his son's forehead, the boy fell down to his knees, the Reaper disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

The cavern suddenly became pindrop quiet and dark. The glowing octopus, Melltune (Dhalia's summon) was the only source of dim light at the moment.