past| 17- they're long dead, and you're not

He remembered that it was an awfully rainy that day too. Rain was pelting down his drab black ensemble, as he stared at two memorial tablets. He didn't attend their burial ceremony, and he never had the courage to come here before.

Because what more could he say to them?

The dead don't talk, or do they?

......

"Arseni," Clement once again repeated. "Are you planning to die? Now— after we got Seoris?" He knew Clement would never understand. For him, everything ended. But for Clement, reclaiming Seoris was just step one to officially hunt Alceste. Clement was practically buzzing to get out of Seoris, and finally exorcise the demon.

He had the same fire in him before. In avenging Ivy. But where did that fire, that hatred get him? It devoured the two people that actually mattered.

"My... wife is out shopping with my son, they'll be back soon." Back then, he even somehow managed to delude himself that they were out shopping, and would eventually return, weeks after they were buried.

"They're dead," Clement spat out darkly. It felt like a slap to the face. "They're long dead Arseni. And you're not. Get a fucking grip. So we're talking about—"

"I'll take the fourth boundary." He said solemnly, to the shock of both Clement and the new king Marco.
The fourth boundary was the gates of the dead. Where many heretics and barbarians try to breech.

"Marco, you know you'll be stupid if you allow Arseni to—"

"Are you sure?" Marco asked, his blue eyes glazing with pity.

He nodded numbly.

"You two really loved each other huh?" Marco gave a rueful smile. "My sister loved you dearly don't you know? She defied King Auguste for you."

"What?" That was Clement's bewildered voice.

"She was giving me info on his movements," Marco recalled. "I hope you didn't give her hell when you caught us. She was also teaching me how to summon the familiars."

He dropped the stack of papers he was holding.

"She did?" Tristan felt as if his world, as he knew it was spinning— falling apart. Clement Alarie was glaring hatefully at him. A hate well deserved. Clement wasn't very amicable, that was Marco's job. But if it was goal setting and grudge holding, Clement is the man for that.

When all along he firmly believed that Dhalia was King Auguste's puppet.

"I thought you knew."

... there was a record scratch in his mind... and he felt something inside of him breaking