𝟸𝟷. 𝙰𝚠𝚔𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍

The anticipation starts getting to me as I put my things down on my bed. I grabbed my phone and started looking through all the notifications.

Messages from Enzo, thousands of missed calls, and messages from a number I recognize as dad's, more notifications from mama even Adrian and Anthony. God, they must be worried sick.

Honestly, I'm starting to question whether calling them will be a good idea or not, I'm definitely not talking to dad. He's only going to ask about the file and what I've been doing.

As I was reading through everything. I got the impression mama thinks I'm hiding to get back at dad which was the plan but still, Enzo thinks I'm ignoring him since I told him not to come.

Apparently, he went to the safe house and saw that everything was destroyed.

The rest of them are just asking if I'm okay and where I am. I decided the first person I'm going to call will be Enzo. Just explain things and let him know I'm okay.

The phone starts ringing and I put it on speaker, the phone doesn't even ring for 2 seconds before he picks up.

"Serene I swear to fucking god I'm going to kill you. Where have you been? This is why I should have come. You never listen to Serene. Tell me where you are, I'm coming to get you-" He starts rambling as soon as he answers.

"Enzo, Enzo relax, let me explain." I cut him off, he goes silent for a minute.

"Fine" I hear him sit down from the other side of the line.

"I did go to the warehouse and I was going to call but things happened and now I'm in Italy with the Italians." I give him the simplest breakdown.

"SERENE, seriously I told you. How'd  you even get your phone?" He still sounds angry but he calmed down a bit.

I hesitated for a second before speaking "Well, he gave it back to me,"

There's a bit of a pause where neither of us is talking.

"Who? -Who gave it to you? It's probably a trick or something" I laugh a bit

"Ace and I'm pretty sure it's not a trick. At Least I don't think it is" I get up and walk to my couch plopping down.

"Serene are you serious, what are you still doing there? This is the Romano's we're talking about"

"Its fine things aren't that bad, we're on good terms." I don't know if that's true or not but that's what Enzo needs to hear.

"Are you stupid serene, what do you mean good terms?" I roll my eyes and throw my head back.

"I mean we're not trying to kill each other"

"Serene you need to come back now"  I don't want to, I like the thought of staying near all these new people.

It's not that I don't want to see my family but I honestly don't know how they'll react. It would be too complicated.

Dad would find a way to trap me in his old cycles. I'd rather stay here for a while than deal with things later.

"Lorenzo, look I'm not coming back yet, and don't ask when I will because I don't know" I let him know how it is. 

"You not listening is what got us in this situation" he sighs knowing I won't change my mind.

"Well it sounds like you're not happy to hear from me, so I'll just leave you alone" I don't need him ranting and telling me everything I did wrong.

"Okay okay sorry. It's just you've been gone for a long time and i- it just wasn't the plan" I know that I let him down and didn't actually fulfill the one promise I made to him.