Chapter 26: To the Land of Waves!

Days passed into weeks as Team 7 carried out their tasks. The summer season soon began reaching its peak. Thus, the genin endured the scorching heat as they carried out various tasks.

They were assigned many D-ranked missions. Finding lost cats, dogs, pigs and a snake (oh yes a very large one), working out in the fields, gardening, doing some old lady's laundry and delivering paintings and vases were just to name a few.

It all seemed to be boring, frustrating and pointless. Yet life moves on. So another day arrived and with it another day of full of mission work.

Naruto yawned as he arrived in front of the Hokage's building.

"Good Morning~ " he said cheerfully to Sasuke and Sakura.
"Morning" Sasuke mumbled.
"Morning idiot. You're late" said Sakura.
"Yeah but sensei is going to be even more late" Naruto replied.
He stole a glance at Sasuke.

Naruto had now developed a habit of getting a good look at Sasuke. He did it first thing in the morning, when they met and then the moment before they all went home.

A few days passed and then Sasuke automatically started looking back at him.

So every time they met or parted they gave each other a firm glance as if to say some kind of secret message.

And at that moment Sasuke was looking back at him.

Beautiful blue irises met the dazzling dark eyes. Their eyes alone portrayed thousands of emotions and thoughts.

Naruto felt his heart leap and sparkle. A small blush appeared on his cheeks and his hand instinctively went to the back of his neck.

Sasuke felt like a volcano, ready to explode. Just thinking about Naruto had been troubling for the Uchiha in the past few days. As he looked at his blonde, his hand moved on its own and carefully brushed the hair behind Naruto's ear.

Naruto felt his mind screaming internally. It was something like:
'AHHH! There it is again! Why do my cheeks feel SO WEIRD?! AHHH!'

"How many times have I told you?" Sasuke said softly. "Comb your hair, Naruto".

Naruto's heart jumped. Sasuke has called him by his name. For some reason it made him even more flustered. He averted his gaze to the ground and mumbled "Yeah...I'll...um do it"

Then there was of course Sakura. Watching them in moments like these she had become aware of the changes in their behaviours.

Naruto had started talking by addressing Sakura and Sasuke. Usually it was only her. She found it strange and annoying. Especially when Sasuke responded to Naruto.

When she discussed this with the other genin they didn't find anything particularly strange. Only Shikamaru and Kiba had a look in their eyes as if they knew something. Thankfully, Sakura didn't take notice.

"Team 7!" someone called interrupting her thoughts.

It was Kurenai Sensei. She and her Team were exiting from the Hokage's building. "Kakashi is in the office waiting for you" she said.

"Thank You sensei" Sakura said politely.
"What?! He's already there?! Naruto said with disbelief.

So Team 7 went ahead. As they passed by, they briefly greeted the genin of Team 8. Akamaru gave them a friendly yap and wagged his tail as Sakura petted him.

When the puppy approached Sasuke however he looked confused. He stared at the Uchiha and then at Naruto. Then he looked at them each of them with a dazed look.

Kiba also stared at them but decided to keep silent. He didn't need Hinata fainting again. 'I'll have to tell the others about this later' he thought mischievously.