Chapter 2: Pain and Loneliness

Usually Naruto would be a stupid loser challenging Sasuke to a fight or teasing him whenever he got the chance. However Sasuke was perplexed by Naruto's behaviour on that particular day.

'Not that I care about his well-being or anything' Sasuke thought . 'My aim is to be strong and powerful. I need to avenge my clan. I'm not going to waste time worrying about others. As he was thinking he didn't realize that he was staring at Naruto.

Their eyes met and Sasuke was shocked as he saw dull blue eyes full of anguish and misery. Just seeing that even in a person like Naruto, Sasuke felt pity for the boy.

'Those eyes look exactly like mine, when I look in the mirror and think about Itachi' Sasuke thought. For some reason he wanted to know, why Naruto had suddenly gone from being the No.1 hyperactive, knucklehead ninja to the sad, depressed and guilty looking boy who looked as though he might cry at any moment.

He was still staring at Naruto and realized it was getting awkward. He quickly turned around and focused on the lesson.

Meanwhile Naruto was dumbfounded. Sasuke had looked at him in such a strange way. Naruto hadn't exactly figured out what it was but Sasuke had looked at him as if....as if

As if he was worried.... Naruto thought. 'Just like in my dream'

Class continued throughout the day. The whole day it was really quite. Naruto didn't pull off a single prank nor did he say anything. It was as if a dark cloud hung over the classroom. Outside it was bright and sunny. 'It's not fair that when I'm sad the whole world looks bright and happy' Naruto thought.

"All right everyone that's it for today. Be sure to do your homework!" Iruka sensei announced. But of course no one was actually listening to him, all the students were getting up desperate to get out of the class.

Naruto began walking slowly towards his house. His anxiety had completely taken over him. He felt so useless.

Sasuke was also heading back home but he was keeping a close eye on Naruto. Sasuke couldn't help feel anxious for some reason. He wanted to know what was wrong with him.

'Why though? Why should I worry about others? It's pointless.' Sasuke thought. Yet he couldn't shake the feeling he had. He had already caught up to Naruto. They were near the training grounds and Naruto was walking fast.

As Naruto was walking he heard Sasuke behind him and tensed.

"Oi, what's wrong dobe? You seem less stupid today" Sasuke said. It seemed as though Sasuke just didn't have any experience trying to comfort someone.

"Sasuke it's nothing" Naruto said his face full of pain.

"Really you look like your girlfriend died or something" Sasuke teased.

"It's nothing I'm just a bit sick" Naruto said.

"You don't look sick. I can see that you dumbass." Sasuke said.

"Well maybe I just don't wanna see your crappy face around here!" Naruto shouted without thinking.

Sasuke grabbed the collar of Naruto's jacket and brought himself face to face with Naruto.

"Listen loser you're the one who's dumb and useless. So don't go around acting like you're the hokage, which I'm sure you'll never be." Sasuke said full of anger.

At that moment Naruto couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't stand anymore insults being directed at him. Tears streamed from his eyes without his control. 'Everyone hates me. I'm useless. I don't wanna live anymore'  Naruto thought.

Sasuke was shocked to see Naruto crying. He didn't know what to do. He suddenly felt pity for the blonde hair boy in front of him. He felt sorry for saying what he had earlier.

All of a sudden Sasuke let go. Naruto felt Sasuke's arms wrap around his body. As Naruto was sobbing Sasuke held him in his arms. Naruto for the first time had been cared for by someone.

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier Naruto. What's wrong? Tell me." Sasuke asked without thinking. But Naruto couldn't answer.

He cried for a while and Sasuke just let him. He stood there with Naruto his heart aching to know what was causing Naruto so much pain.

After a while Naruto got up, wiped his tears with the sleeves of his jacket and said "I'm going home". He turned around and began walking towards his house. 

Sasuke stood there for a while before walking back to his own house. For some reason he kept thinking about Naruto and he was worried for him. His mind kept remembering him in his arms crying and sobbing.

'There's no point worrying about others. I am an avenger and I follow a different path than others' Sasuke thought. But at the back of his mind he was thinking 'Why was he crying? Who was responsible? What's really going on with him?'

'Wait. Why am I worried about him?' Sasuke questioned himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------