Chapter 10

^^Grace's Outfit above^^

Grace's POV

The following morning I woke up to Emmett sitting in my reading chair. I sat up in bed and watched Emmett close one of my books and walk over to me. He laid down on my bed and I rested my head on his chest. I let my hand draw random patterns on his chest.

"How are you feeling?" Emmett asked, running his fingers through my messy hair.

"Confused... tired," I answered honestly. I had no idea what to make of my powers or of the nomads roaming around while Dad pursued them. "I'm worried about Dad. What's gonna happen if Dad manages to catch them?"

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to Charlie. You believe that, don't you?" Emmett asked when I had gone quiet.

I sat up and turned to look at him before answering. "I believe you. I just don't trust the nomads running around. From what you've told me they're dangerous. And with Bella on the verge of finding out and with... whatever is happening to me... It's just a lot to handle."

"Nothing bad is going to happen to Charlie. And as for the other two, I would try not to worry. If Bella finds out then we let Edward deal with it. And as for your powers, we will know more this afternoon and Skyla will be there to help you every step of the way."

"And what about you?" I teased.

"I'll be by your side for an eternity."

"Good answer," I mumbled before laying back on his chest. The slight rumble told me that he heard me and found it funny.

The two of us remained in our insulated bubble of peace for as long as we possibly could. Unfortunately, my human tendencies forced me to get out of bed to relieve myself and to get something to eat. However, after I got a snack I went back to my room and laid against Emmett once again.

It was 11:00 before I finally got dressed. I put on a pair of black, ripped, skinny jeans, a cream t-shirt, and one of Emmett's red, plaid shirts. Sometime during the night, Emmett must have run home to change because he was wearing a different outfit than yesterday. Still the same concept, jeans and a long sleeve with a jacket. Skyla didn't live that far away so we still had a few minutes. I poured myself a cup of coffee that Dad must have brewed in hopes that it wakes me up enough to have the conversation that we were about to have.

11:20 and the two of us were in Emmett's jeep. As per usual, Emmett had to help me get in the passenger seat and figure out all the seatbelts. At exactly 11:28 we pulled into Skyla's driveway. Emmett moved to open the door but I pulled him back. I took a few deep breaths before removing my hand from his harm and nodding my head. Emmett got around to my side and helped me out of the seat. I gripped onto his hand for dear life and we walked up to her front door.

Skyla opened the door and ushered us inside. She gently squeezed my free hand. Emmett and I followed her back through the house to the kitchen I've visited almost a million times. This time it felt different. It had always felt like home before and now... I just felt empty. Like nothing held the same meaning anymore.

"Please take a seat," Norae, Skyla's mother, said, motioning to the empty kitchen table chairs. "So... Skyla tells me that you've only recently come into your powers. About what time would you say?"

"It was after the accident a few weeks ago," I answered. "After I woke up, I tried to get a drink of water and the cup moved away from me. I tried again and the same thing happened, only the cup fell on the floor."

"Did anything strange happen during the accident?"

"She died," Emmett whispered.

"What?" I asked. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to worry you. You were so stressed with recovering from the accident and finding out about your powers that I didn't want you to worry."

"That explains it," Norae said. She got up and walked over to a hutch and pushed on the back panel. She pulled out a dusty book and brought it back to the table.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Our family's book of shadows," Skyla said.

"I don't understand. What does that have to do with me?"

"In here is a spell to block a witch's power," Norae started to explain. "I believe that your mother put such a spell on you to protect you. The spell can only be broken with a brush of death."

"So when I died, I broke a spell my mother put on me. Why would she do such a thing?"

"She might've known that she wouldn't be around long enough to teach you everything you needed to know... Ah, here it is."

She turned the book so it was facing Emmett and me. A binding spell. There were a bunch of herbs that I've never heard of as well as a warning at the end. The warning stated that the only way to break the spell would be a brush with death.

"Why wouldn't she just tell me about this?" I asked, leaning into Emmett's comforting embrace.

"I don't know. But I promise that I am going to help you any way I can. We can start your training as soon as you're ready... Now, who's ready for some lunch?"

Norae went into the kitchen and returned with a steaming tray of quesadillas. She set the tray down before disappearing once more. She returned with some plates and some silverware as well as a cup of a thick red liquid.

"Oh, I shouldn't," Emmett said, starting to refuse.

"It's animal," Norae responded.

Emmett gently took the cup and had a small sip.

We had a quiet lunch. I was too freaked out to start any conversations and thankfully Skyla knew that. She kept the topics on lighter subjects like school and new spells that she wanted to try after she advanced to the next level. I tried to be interested but I knew it would take time to process the fact that my mother knew she was going to die and yet she did nothing about it.

Norae Baxter

Portrayed by: Holly Marie Combs