Chapter 11

Grace's POV

A few days had passed since my eventful talk with Norae and Skyla. Every day after school I had been going home with Skyla and we would do witch lessons. I could finally make a small orb of water and hold it in the air for a few minutes. My next lesson was about keeping the ball in the air despite distractions around me. I had yet to master that skill. My 'homework' from witch lessons is to meditate in a busy area. If I can calm my mind from the noises around me, then I should be able to focus my magic.

We had yet to tell Carlisle and the rest of the coven about my powers. Norae wanted to wait until I had a better grasp on them so I would seem like less of a threat. I wanted to disagree with her but I understood that this wasn't just my secret anymore. Now it involved Norae and Skyla and the last thing I wanted to do was put them in danger.

Bella had found out that the Cullens were vampires thanks to Edward. Apparently, the book that she got in Port Angeles told about the legend of the Cold Ones. And thanks to Edward and his stupid fascination with my adoptive sister he basically told her about him. Rose was consistently on edge and Jasper looked like he wanted to murder everyone in sight. Needless to say, Emmett was always over at my house. Not like it was any better here. Ever since Bella found out she has been hounding Emmett about his past. She wanted to know how he turned and who turned him and what it was like when he was human. It's so annoying to be spending time with Emmett and then she pops up out of nowhere and starts asking question after question after question.

Today was the big day. Bella was getting introduced to the family. Esme was making Italiano for Bella and me and I know that she roped her kids into helping. The only positive was Edward had set the meeting for Saturday so I was able to spend the night and help Rose and Jasper keep calm. Rose and I spent the majority of the night watching bad romcom movies while I ate a bucket of popcorn. Emmett, Jasper, and Dimitri joined us when we said we would watch an action movie. Emmett sat next to me in a bean bag chair from his room and Jasper put his head in my lap and I ran my fingers through his hair. Over the year together, I figured out that once Jasper was comfortable with you, he is a very affectionate person. Surprisingly it doesn't bother Emmett. He knows that his brother didn't have the best introduction to his new life so he is really proud that Jasper feels like he can come to me with anything.

As I was saying, Esme had roped all of us to help make food for Bella and me. There was a cooking show playing in the background. Carlisle was looking at it as he cooked some chicken. Emmett was cutting some vegetables. Esme was grating some cheese and Rose was holding a bowl of salad that Emmett was putting vegetables into. Dimitri was out hunting with Alice and Jasper. Jasper thought that it would be a good idea if either Dimitri or Emmett was with him when he met Bella and Dimitri volunteered. I sat at the counter and added the spices to each dish.

"Is she even Italian?" Rose grumbled.

"Her name is Bella," Emmett said, trying to be smart.

"I'm sure she'll love it no matter what," Carlisle said.

All of them stopped what they were doing and stiffened their posture.

"Oh, get a whiff of that," Rose said. "Here comes the human."

There would've been a day that I would've scoffed at her remark. Today, however, I chose to ignore it. I mean, technically, I wasn't human. Emmett moved to stand behind me and he rested a hand on my shoulder.

Esme moved closer to the entryway as Bella and Edward came up the stairs. "Bella, we're making Italiano for you and your sister," Esme said.

"Oh," Bella said.

"Bella, this is Esme, my mother for all intents and purposes," Edward said.

"Bon Giorno?"

"Molto bene," Esme commented.

"You and your sister have given us an excuse to use the kitchen," Carlisle said, moving away from the stovetop

"I hope you're hungry," Esme said. I could tell that she had a look of hope in her eyes.

"Oh, absolutely," Bella said.

"She already ate," Edward commented.

Crash! I jumped at the loud noise and looked to my right. The glass bowl Rose was holding was on the floor in tiny pieces.

"Perfect," Rose commented, taking a step forward. I reached out and rested my hand on her arm.

"Yeah- I just- because I know you guys don't eat so..." Bella stumbled over her words.

"Of course," Esme cut her off. "That's very considerate of you."

"Ignore Rosalie. I do," Edward whispered to Bella.

I stood off my chair in anger. "Edward!" I chasted. "She is your sister. Do not ever talk about your family like that. Bella and me knowing your secret is a big deal and your sister is worried about her family. Do not undermine that. Ever."

"I would never tell anyone," Bella stressed.

"They know that," Carlisle said, moving to stand behind his wife.

"The problem is, you two have gone public now, so..." Emmett said, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Emmett," Esme chided.

"No, she should know," Rosalie said, taking a step closer to Bella. "The entire family would be implicated if this ends badly."

"Badly?" Bella asked. "As in I would become the meal?"

Everyone but Rosalie and I laughed. This was no laughing matter. We could lose our lives, Dad could lose his, the whole town could be leveled if the Volturi found out about Bella or what I was.

Alice, Jasper, and Dimitri came in at that moment. Alice skipped over and gave Bella a hug. She commented on her smell and Edward reprimanded her. I can understand being embarrassed with your family but you keep the thoughts to yourself. Edward didn't care about the effort his entire family put into today. He didn't care that Bella's words hurt Esme, especially when she told him that she was going to make something for Bella and me. Bella waved at Jasper and he stiffened even worse. Alice tried to reassure him that he wouldn't hurt Bella but I could tell that what she said wasn't what he needed.

I took a step closer to him and grabbed his free wrist to draw his attention. "You are the strongest person here," I said, looking directly into his eyes. His posture loosened up a tiny bit and he nodded his head at me. I let go of his hand and walked back into Emmett's embrace.

Edward took Bella upstairs, presumably to get away from his 'overbearing' family. Rose was instructed to clean up her mess by Esme and the rest were instructed to keep cooking by me. Everyone laughed at me but I just pushed Emmett towards the kitchen as hard as I could. He humored me by moving when I pushed.