Chapter 9

Grace's POV

As promised thirty minutes later, Emmett parked his jeep next to our car. Skyla had moved us to the top of a parking ramp. She said it was so we wouldn't be disturbed. I didn't have it in me to question her. Emmett brought me into his arms and the floodgates opened. I buried my face in his stone-like chest and cried. He whispered softly in my ear and rubbed his hands up and down my back. Skyla placed her hand on my shoulder for moral support. It took a few minutes but I got my tears under control and silently asked Skyla to explain what happened.

"Emmett, first off you need to know that I know that you and your family are vampires," Skyla started.

"How?"

"Your eyes for one thing. And another reason is I am a witch and so is Grace."

"What do you mean I'm a witch?" I asked softly.

"What happened tonight with the men that attacked us was your doing. You made the water move and shoot at him-"

"Wait, what men?" Emmett asked.

"Long story short, we went to save Bella, Grace saved the day, I kicked ass, and your brother is an ass," Skyla said.

I pulled out of Emmett's chest and turned around in his arms. "What did Edward do?" Emmett asked.

"He left us." She curled her fingers into a fist and the puddles around us started to boil before evaporating altogether. "Sorry, I don't have full control over that yet."

"We need to tell Carlisle about this."

"I agree but first we need to get my mother. I wasn't supposed to tell you until you started showing your powers which you now have but the Cullens weren't supposed to find out. Sorry."

"I am the last person to judge you about keeping a secret."

"Tomorrow why don't both of you come over and Mom and I can explain everything then we can tell your coven leader." I nodded my head indicating that I had been listening the entire time. "Perfect. I'll see you both tomorrow. Grace, you don't mind riding with Emmett so I can get home to warn Mom, do you?"

I shook my head. "No. Besides, it will give me time to process," I said.

She got in her car and drove off. Emmett led me to the passenger side door and opened the door. Since his Jeep is so high I need help getting in, so Emmett lifted me in the Jeep but didn't close the door.

"How are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm scared and hurt and numb. I'm scared of what I can do, hurt that everything feels like a lie right now but at the same time it doesn't even feel real," I said, turning to look at him.

"I know that everything will be okay. This is just another thing to master and I know for a fact that there's nothing you can't handle."

I brought my hand up to his cheek and leaned in for a kiss. His lips met mine and everything felt right in the world. Emmett pulled away first and slowly closed the door before speeding around to the driver's side. He got in and drove off. I teased him about putting on a seatbelt and instead of his normal banter he just looks at me and puts it on.

On the way back home, Emmett pulled into a fast-food drive-through and ordered me some chicken strips, french fries, and a medium Coke. I ate them as Emmett drove to my house. As we got into town we passed the Station. Lights were flashing and an Ambulance was there. Emmett pulled in when we saw that Carlisle's car was there along with Edwards'. Edward and Bella had gotten out of their car just as Carlisle came out. Emmett put his car in park and helped me out.

"Waylon Forge was found in a boat out near his place," Carlisle said. "I just examined the body."

"He died?" Bella asked.

"How?" I asked, my voice cracking in the process. I cleared my throat in an attempt to hide that I had been crying not even an hour ago.

"Animal attack," Carlisle said. There was a certain gleam in his eye as he made eye contact with his 'sons'. A vampire killed Waylon.

"Was it the same one that got that security guard down in Mason?" Bella asked.

"Most likely."

"Well, it's getting closer to town then-"

"Bella, you should go inside. Waylon was your father's friend."

"Okay." Bella walked up the steps before pausing and turning back towards Edward. "I'll see you later. Grace, you coming?"

"Yeah, just give me a sec," I said. She turned towards the front door and walked inside. "What's going on?" I asked, looking between Emmett and Carlisle.

They seemed to be having a private conversation so I just let them work it out as I hugged Emmett under his jacket. His marble-like body provided enough support to keep me upright. His arm wrapped around my waist and he finally looked down at me.

"I promise I'll tell you everything but not here. Too many people could be listening," Emmett explained. Carlisle and Edward went to their respective cars and drove off. "Leave your window open tonight and I'll come see you."

"You're not gonna stay and see Dad?"

"We need to have a family meeting about the nomads hunting on our territory. When it's done, I'll come to your room, okay?"

I nodded my head. "I'll see you later." I leaned up on my tiptoes to give him a quick kiss on the lips. He slowly let me go after I pulled away. I walked into the station without a second thought.

I walked in the front door and took a right to find Dad's desk with the only light on. Bella was standing next to Dad and he was sitting in his chair. I walked over and gave him the biggest hug I could manage in his seated position.

"Don't worry girls, we're gonna find this thing," Dad said. "Meantime, I want you to carry this with you." He held out two cans of pepper spray. I took mine but Bella seemed apprehensive about the idea. "It'll give your old man some peace of mind." Bella took the can and Dad said he was ready to go home.

As promised Emmett came to the front door a few hours later. Dad let him in and we went up to my room to talk about everything that transpired not five hours ago. He told me that nomad vampires were hunting in their territory and that if they didn't leave soon there was most likely going to be a fight between the Cullens and the nomads. After that, we talked about what Skyla told us. Skyla called me and told me and Emmett to come to her house over lunch tomorrow. She said that her mom was going to make quesadillas and that we would talk over lunch. I told Skyla that we would be over about 11:30 and she hung up. Emmett and I spent the rest of the night cuddling on my bed. Dad never came to kick Emmett out so he spent the night.