Chapter 3

Third Person POV

Grace went about her morning classes with very few interruptions. She had many questions about her sister and truthfully the girl knew very little about the older Swan. Of course, she would never admit it to her fellow classmates, except for Skyla. Skyla was the first real friend Grace had made after Charlie adopted her. The other girls would make fun of Grace. Jessica Stanley was particularly hard on Grace. Skyla stood up to the mean girls and the two were inseparable.

Bella had a similar first day. She got asked many questions from those brave enough to ask. She managed to humiliate herself in gym class and have a boy find it endearing. And she made friends with the school's gossip mill. When asked about her sister Bella didn't hesitate to share that she knew very little about her new sister. Naturally, her reason for the non-existent relationship fell to blaming her father. As if it was Charlie's fault for never mentioning the girl.

Lunchtime came about and Emmett met Grace outside her calculus classroom and together the two of them met up with his family for lunch. Rose, Dimitri, Alice, and Jasper were waiting outside the doors to the cafeteria. Rose and Dimitri went in first followed by Alice and Jasper before Emmett and Grace walked inside to get the human girl some food. Edward came in last as usual.

Bella managed to get a seat with Jessica, Eric, Tyler, Angela, and Mike. As the Cullens and two Hale twins walked up the cafeteria doors Jessica began to spread her gossip.

"Who are they?" Bella asked, motioning to the Cullens.

"The Cullens," Angela answered.

"They're Doctor and Mrs. Cullen's foster kids. They moved down here from Alaska, like, a few years ago," Jessica said lowering her voice so the passing Cullens wouldn't hear.

"They kind of keep to themselves."

"Yeah, 'cause they're all together. Like, together, together. The blonde girl, that's Rosalie, and the big dark-haired guy, Dimitri, they're, like, a thing. I'm not even sure that's legal."

"Jess, they're not actually related."

"Yeah, but they live together. It's weird. And, okay. The little dark-haired girl's Alice. She's really weird and she's with Jasper, the blonde one who looks like he's in pain-"

"Wait," Bella said interrupting, "what's Grace doing with them?"

"Grace is dating the buff one, Emmett. She's the only outsider who has managed to get involved with them. Anyway, Doctor Cullen's like this foster dad slash matchmaker."

"Maybe he'll adopt me," Angela said.

"Who's he?" Bella asked looking out the window at Edward.

"That's Edward Cullen. He's totally gorgeous, obviously, but apparently nobody here's good enough for him. Like I care, you know? So, yeah. Seriously, like, don't waste your time."

"Wasn't planning on it."

Bella looked at the group of mysterious Cullens. Jealousy burned in her eyes when she looked at her 'sister'. Emmett sat conversing with his brother about where they were going to hunt next while Grace, sitting on his lap, ate a few bites of the cafeteria food, and talked with Alice and Rosalie.

"Anything good from the gossip mill?" Grace asked Edward. A frown formed on his lips and his brow furrowed, almost like he was trying to figure something out. "What's wrong?"

"I can't read her," Edward answered.

"Maybe your gift is slipping-"

"No. I can hear everyone around her but not her."

"Don't worry too much, I'm sure it's nothing. I mean you couldn't hear me the first few times-"

"This is different."

"How so?"

"It just is," Edward snapped.

Emmett let out a low growl and hugged his mate closer to him. Grace rested her hand on Emmett's neck and moved his head to look at her. "Look at me, not him. It takes more than your brother to scare me remember." Emmett calmed down and the two shared a laugh. Emmett nuzzled his face in the crook of her neck. The bell rang distracting the teens once more.

Grace's POV

Emmett let out a groan when the bell rang. Edward stalked off to class and Alice and Jasper danced out of the cafeteria. Rose grabbed my hand and dragged me from Emmett's lap, much to his dismay. I gave him a quick kiss on the lips before Rose and I walked off to AP English.

Afternoon classes passed by fairly quickly and soon enough the final bell rang. Emmett was waiting for me, as usual. As we walked by the main office I saw Edward in there. I asked Emmett what was going on but he told me not to worry about it, that he would tell me later. Before Emmett dropped me off at my house I reminded him that Dad was taking the three of us out to dinner to celebrate Bella coming home. Emmett playfully grumbled but promised to come and see me before I went to sleep. I kissed his cheek before going inside and up to my room to get started on my homework. A few hours later Dad honked the car and I rushed downstairs to get in the car. I just barely got in the passenger seat when Bella came out of the front door. Instead of getting in the back, she opted to drive herself.

"Anything interesting happen at school?" Dad asked.

"Not really. To be honest I was bored in most of my classes," I answered.

"And how was Bella?"

"Good, I think. We don't have any classes together."

Dad pulled into the diner and we both got out. Bella followed right behind us. I picked the corner table and Cora was our waitress. Waylen, dad's friend, came over and tried to get Bella to remember him. It didn't work and Cora shooed him away when she brought us our food. Dad ordered a steak and fries, Bella ordered a garden burger, and I ordered a BLT and curly fries. We all ate dinner with minimal questions. Bella asked about the Cullens and Dad told her to ignore the rumors. I doubted that she would listen but I kept the comments to myself.