Chapter 6

Grace's POV

Much to everyone's disappointment the second I was out of the hospital I wanted to go back to school. Dad argued that physically I wasn't ready while Emmett tag teamed and said that mentally I wasn't ready. I managed to convince Carlisle to okay me going back to school and that put one of them at ease, I'll let you guess which one.

"Emmett, I'm going on the biology field trip," I said stubbornly.

He placed his hands on my hips and just held me close. "I can't have anything happen to you, do you understand that?"

"I know, believe me I know but I won't be alone. Alice and Jasper will be there to watch over me and Edward will be there too." Emmett growled under his breath. A shiver ran down my spine and I rested my head on his chest. "I know that you can't forgive Edward just yet and neither can I but he is still your brother."

"Promise me that you won't leave their side."

"I promise I won't leave their side unless I have to pee." I tilted my head up to see his playfully glaring at me. I shot him a sly smile and he shook his head before placing a kiss on my waiting lips.

Alice tugged me away from Emmett while Rose and Dimitri pulled him into the school. The three of us handed over our permission slips and got on the bus. Edward followed after keeping his gaze on Bella.

"Eggshells, carrot tops. Compost is cool," Mr. Molina said. "Now, stuff that in there, Eric. Very good, very good. Now, I am gonna make a steaming cup of compost tea."

We were walking around a local greenhouse looking at the various plants and flowers being grown. Most of the boys were joking around messing with the machine equipment. I stuck to my promise and stayed in between Alice and Jasper. Neither of them seemed to mind but I could tell Jasper was on edge. His posture was stiff as a board and he forgot at times to make it look like he was breathing. I looked behind me to see Edward and Bella talking. Alice was giddy, her vision finally coming true despite Edward's best attempt otherwise. Something must have happened because Edward stormed off with a sour look on his face. We reached the end of the greenhouse and I began to feel dizzy. Alice had Jasper lead me back on the bus while she told the teacher I wasn't feeling so well.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Jasper asked me.

I nodded my head slightly and closed my eyes resting against the seat. "Maybe Emmett was right... Don't tell him I said that," I muttered trying to get him to laugh. It worked, I got Jasper to laugh. But it didn't placate his worry.

Thankfully we headed back to school fairly quickly. There was one class left and it was one I had with Emmett. He took notice of my pale, well paler, face, and refused to leave my side. I tried to get him to stop being a worry-wort but that would be like trying to stop the Titanic from sinking, impossible. Of course, immediately following school Emmett forced me into his jeep, drove me to the hospital, and walked straight into Carlisle's office. Thankfully he had no patient in the room but still.

"Emmett? What's wrong?" Carlisle asked looking up from what I assume were patient files.

"Something's wrong with Grace. She was fine this morning but now she's pale and..." Emmett started saying before I took over.

"I'm fine, honestly. I was a little dizzy but I sat down just like you said, took a tiny power nap, and now I feel better," I stressed.

Apparently, my words fell on deaf ears because Carlisle began a quick check-up. Once he was done he told me that I needed more fluids and that I needed more rest. He excused me from school tomorrow and Emmett took me home to make sure that Charlie gets notified, knowing that I would hide the slip of paper and go to school anyway.

Much to my pleasure, Dad was still at work so I dragged Emmett up to my room and shut my door. Emmett sat on my bed, back resting against the headboard. "Emmett, we need to talk," I said sliding one leg on either side of him effectively straddling him.

"Uh-oh, those are never good words to hear," Emmett teased.

"I want you to do something for me."

"Anything."

"Close your eyes and hold out your hand." He raised one eyebrow in question and I playfully rolled my eyes before waving a hand over his eyes. "Come on, trust me."

"Alright," he playfully sighed before holding out his hand.

I took his hand in mine and placed it directly over my heart. "This is still beating because you saved me. No arguing about getting there a second sooner or any other negative thought you might have regarding the accident." His eyes popped open and they met mine. "This will always be yours," I whispered.

He moved his other hand to tangle in the hair at the base of my neck before pulling me in for a soft kiss. "I don't know what I would do without you," he whispered against my lips.

"You will never have to find out," I whispered back. We spent the majority of the night sharing small, brief, kisses. Dad eventually came home and told me that the door was to remain open. Emmett did tell Dad what Carlisle said and I held in my disapproval knowing that one day at home would put them both at ease.