Chapter 5

Emmett's POV

It's been a week since the accident. Not much had changed in Grace's condition. I, on the other hand, grew worse with every passing day. I refused to leave her side, not even to hunt. Dimitri had to forcefully remove me from Grace's room when my eyes turned pitch black. I had to pretend to be asleep when Charlie would come in the early morning hours before his shift. We didn't really talk that much, both of us were distracted with the possibility of her opening her eyes.

A few students from school stopped by during the first two days. The vast majority of the visitors were girls looking to try their hand now that Grace was incapacitated. Needless to say, Rose put an end to that after the second day. Both of us were on the verge of ripping the head from someone's body.

"Have you seen anything new?" I asked Alice. Carlisle had told us that the swelling had reduced and that she would be able to breathe on her own soon.

"No. I'm sorry Emmett but it's like she's hiding from me," Alice answered.

"Does Carlisle have any ideas?"

"He's doing all that he can."

"I need her Alice. I don't know if I can go on without her by my side."

Grace's POV

I don't know how long I was plunged in darkness. Two voices would pierce the deafening silence, both of them male but I couldn't make out what each of them were saying. I could feel someone's cold touch, their hand holding mine. Darkness fell again and when I resurfaced I felt lighter.

"Sweetheart," a soft voice called out.

"Hello!" I shouted and it echoed around me.

"We don't have much time. You need to understand, I never wanted to give you up but it was for your own protection-"

"What do you mean for my protection? Who are you? What's going on?"

"Ask your father. He will be able to tell you everything. I'm sorry but it's time for you to wake up darling."

She waved her hand over my head and the darkness came back. The next time I opened my eyes they were met with blinding light. I tried to move my hand but something was holding it down.

"Grace? Can you hear me?" Emmett asked.

I tried to answer but there was a tube sticking out of my mouth. I went to pull it out but Emmett grabbed my hand before I could.

"Leave it in baby," Emmett said. "I'll go get Carlisle to take it out okay?"

Before I could blink he was gone. Not a minute later Carlisle was in the room. He checked me over then he took the tubes out. A coughing fit overtook my body and Emmett brought a cup of water to my lips. I took several greedy drinks and the coughing subsided.

"What happened?" I asked my voice raspy.

"You were in an accident. You hit your head on the concrete at school," Carlisle said. "There was a lot of swelling in your brain so we had to put you in a coma while the swelling went down."

"How long?"

"One week. I'll go call your father."

"Baby, you had me so worried," Emmett said once his father left the room.

"Emmett, what really happened?"

"What do you remember?"

"I remember talking to Bella and turning around to see the car but after that... it's... blank."

"Alice had a vision of the accident but Edward was the only one aware so he ran over. I followed after him but I was a second too late. He pushed you out of the way which caused you to hit your head pretty hard on the ground."

"Will you lay with me?"

He smiled and patted my leg for me to scoot over. I snuggled into his side and let my mind race over the new information. Dad came about an hour later. When he got into the room he gave me a bear hug. He went into cop mode and asked me a bunch of questions. I answered them to the best of my ability and I left out the fact that Edward pushed me.

A couple of hours later Carlisle came back and told Dad and Emmett that visitor hours were ending soon. Dad said that he would be back tomorrow after work. Carlisle gave Emmett a knowing look before he left the room. Despite just waking up I felt sluggish.

"Get some rest," Emmett whispered softly.

"'M not sleepy," I mumbled curling even further into his embrace if it was even possible. His chest rumbled indicating a soft chuckle. The darkness washed over me and I fell into a deep, dreamless, sleep.

The next morning I woke up and to my surprise, Emmett was nowhere to be found. I took a good look around the bare room. On a table sitting next to me was a pink pitcher with a matching water cup. I reached over but before I could grab the cup it moved away from me. I leaned as close as my sore body would let me but the same thing happened. I tried once more but this time the cup fell off the edge of the table.

 I tried once more but this time the cup fell off the edge of the table

"What the hell?" I whispered.