Chapter 12

Grace's POV

Edward and Bella didn't come down for the rest of the day. Who knows what they are doing up there. I knew it wasn't anything... gross, because Edward has very respectable values. But I have to admit. It made me curious. What did they even bond over? Was it their boring personalities or selfish behavior that drew the two of them together? I couldn't fathom the two of them lasting long. Once Bella knew of their secret she seemed hellbent on making it work in her favor. I honestly think that Edward needs someone who will bring him out of that giant shell he puts up. And I know that Bella is going to play on his fears to pressure him into things that he doesn't want to do.

But enough thinking about Bella and Edward. Esme and Carlisle have left us, presumably to talk about Edward, taking advantage of the mind reader not listening. I could tell that the whole family was worried about what would happen in a few years and they would have to move. I knew that is what I was worried about. What would happen to Dad when I left? I had been reading more of the Baxter family Book of Shadows and there was a passage on Soulmates. It said that the soulmates would take on the longest lifespan. Meaning that I would essentially be immortal when Emmett and I... mate. I'm not immortal yet. Before we knew that I was a witch we had decided to wait until I was twenty-one before making those life-altering decisions.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful but still fun. Jasper fully relaxed once all the food was done. When I asked he just replied that Bella wasn't in the house anymore. I accepted his answer without a second thought. After the dishes were done Emmett brought out the board games. Jasper just laughed, Dimitri accepted the challenge while we girls rolled our eyes. The first game was Monopoly. As usual, Alice was the banker. It sometimes wasn't fun when Alice would cheat and tell us what we were going to do but she promised to keep her thoughts to herself if we let her be the banker. It seemed like a fair trade but I knew that Edward and Alice were used to getting their way. With Edward being the "youngest" in the family and his ability giving him the knowledge of everyone's most private thoughts it's no wonder he has an entitled air about him. And with Alice's ability to predict the most likely outcome of everyone's next move I wouldn't be surprised if she used that to her advantage and manipulated certain, undesirable, situations.

Emmett, Dimitri, and Rose were left alone for the most part. The three participated with the family during baseball games, hunting trips, family game nights, but other than that they tended to keep to themselves. I knew that it wasn't because they didn't love their family, it was because they felt pushed aside when Alice and Edward were in the same room at the same time. I worried what would happen if Bella became one of them or if everything would change after they found out what I am.

Not wanting to break up a family is the main reason I don't want to tell everyone that I am a witch. Norae and Skyla had assured me that I was magically okay to tell everyone. My powers had enough control to not cause any concerns. The two had also talked to the Elders, the head honchos of the supernatural community, and the Elders said that since we were mates the Cullens could know about my powers. The Elders are the final "level" to the supernatural hierarchy, outranking even the Volturi, not that the Volturi would ever admit it to their underlings.

About a week later, Bella and I were supposed to be meeting Dad at the diner for our weekly dinner. We tried to make one night a week our "family" dinner. I had Emmett drop me off at the diner before he went hunting. I walked inside and saw Dad already sitting down. I walked over to him and joined him at the table.

"Hey Dad," I said, pulling out the menu to see what I wanted. "How was work? Did you catch the guy in Mason county?"

"We have a few new leads," Dad answered. "Nothing to worry yourself about."

"Hey, what can I get you guys?" Cora asked.

"I'll do the loaded nachos," I answered, handing the menu back to Cora.

"I'll have a steak... and let's do a spinach salad for Bella," Dad answered, handing the menu to Cora.

She walked away and we sat in comfortable silence. About ten minutes later Bella walked in the door.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Biology project," she said, sitting down.

"I ordered you the spinach salad," Dad said. "I hope that's okay."

Cora set down the plates when Bella said, "You should order one for yourself next time. Cut back on the steak."

"Hey, I'm as healthy as a horse."

"Say, Chief, boys want to know... Did you find anything down by Queets River today?"

Dad hesitated a moment before answering. "Yeah, we found a bare human footprint, but it looks like whoever that is is headed east so Kitsap County sheriff is gonna take over from here."

"I just hope they catch him fast."

We were able to eat for a few minutes before Mike Newton and his posse were being idiotic outside the diner. They were shaking their asses against a tree being moronically stupid. Dad tried to get Bella to hang out with them but she wanted to stay home. Says that she is like Dad in that aspect. We finished our dinner mostly in silence. Very little chatter here and there.

Once we were done, Bella got in her car and drove home, leaving Dad and me to get home in the cruiser. Not that I minded. I'd rather do that than be alone with Bella. After we got home, Emmett was waiting for us outside. The front door was open and Bella's car was haphazardly parked in the driveway. Dad just barely got the cruiser parked. Dad left Emmett and me on the porch, most likely going to shower before he crashed on the couch. So Emmett and I let him be and walked up the stairs to my room.

"I've been thinking about something and I want your opinion," I said, sitting on my bed facing the window.

"What've you been thinking about?" He asked. I could feel the bed dip next to me and a cold arm wrapped around my shoulders.

"I think we should tell your family about what I... about my powers. They deserve to know the truth and I would like Norae and Skyla to be there."

"If you think you're ready. I don't want you to push yourself if you're not ready."

"Magically, Norae says that I am ready..."

"But?"

"But, I don't want to ruin your family. What if they can't handle it and you are forced to leave? What if Edward tells Bella? What if-"

"What if the sky burns and it is our last day on earth? Grace, I promise you that everything is going to be okay. My family loves you, Rose especially. And if it comes down to it... I chose you. I will always choose you and the others will understand that. They know what it's like to be away from your mate and I know they're not that selfish."

"But-"

"But nothing. You come first." He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my lips. He pulled away before things could get too heated.

I called Skyla and we set up a meeting for tomorrow afternoon. Since it was Saturday tomorrow we would have all the time in the world to answer any questions the Cullens might have. Emmett called Carlisle and he agreed to the meeting. Esme was already talking about what to make. I told her that something small would be enough and that Norae was bringing dessert.

For the rest of the night, Emmett and I watched movies on my laptop. First, we watched a horror flick. I don't really like horror movies so I spent most of the time hiding in Emmett's chest. Then we watched Now You See Me. One of my favorites. It's good, fun, mysterious, and best of all, no gore. Dad came in after his shower and asked if Emmett was staying the night. Emmett asked if that was okay and Dad said that it was so long as we kept the door open and promised no funny business. Both Emmett and I promised no funny business and Dad left us alone for the night.