27

Elara could only hear the sound of her heart beating as she ran through the halls. She didn't care that she looked borderline crazy as she pushed past innocent people who happen to be in her way.

She didn't bother to look if they had fallen down once she had passed or if they dropped whatever they were holding. She can't even remember their faces as she reaches the door to Bennett's room. 

"Elara," the connection is a little stronger and she feels like she could cry as she bursts through the door. 

But her heart drops to her stomach when her eyes land on Bennett in bed, eyes closed and not moving. 

"No," her voice is weak to even her ears and she can hear people entering the room, "I heard him," 

She had heard him, hadn't she? Her mind races to remember, trying to push out the doubt that is beginning to cloud everything. 

"It's okay, honey," Grace wraps an arm around her, moving her hand in slow, soothing circles on her back, "let's go get you something to eat," 

Grace means well, Elara knows this, but the idea of food or even leaving right now doesn't sit right. Bennett called her. He did! She knows he did! 

"No, I heard him," She moves out of Grace's reach and grabs her mate's hand in hers, "Bennett? Bennett, baby, wake up," 

Elara holds her breath, watching, waiting for something - anything that says he's waking up. But he doesn't move. The heart monitor he's attached to continues to beep the same incessant and annoying sound that grates on Elara's nerves. 

She can hear the Alpha's saying their goodbyes as they head back to the office to discuss a strategy. But it all sounds like whispers to her. She barely registers a hand touching her shoulder. 

"I have no doubts now," Ki says, staring down at Bennett, a sad smile crossing his face, "I just can't figure out why she did it," 

He wasn't really talking to Elara, more talking out loud, but she couldn't help wondering the same thing. She can't help but think back to her dream last night - at how excited Kamaria had been to hear that Ki was free. 

She had no idea that sending pieces of their souls would lead to where they all are now. 

"Maybe," Elara says slowly, moving her hand down the side of Bennett's face tenderly as she thinks about why she would do the same thing, "Maybe she just wanted to give a small piece of you both the love story you never got to have," 

Ki snaps his eyes to Elara, eyebrows drawn together looking at her carefully. 

"I mean that's what I would do," Elara continues, unaware of the Ki's eyes on her, "You talked about leaving and living on the mortal world. Maybe she blames herself for Sethos' curse. She wanted to give some piece of you the happily ever after you talked about," 

Neither of them says anything, only the sound of the heart machine. Finally, Elara turns to look at Ki but he's staring into space, rubbing at his chest just above his heart again. 

"Why do you keep -"

"Elara," her words die on her lips as she turns sharply to face Bennett, the word not having gone through her head, but had been said out loud. 

"You heard that right, Ki?" She says excitedly, standing quickly, her hand tightening in his as she leans closer to him. Her other hand skims along his forehead as if his hair were long enough to keep out of his eyes. 

"Bennett?" she coos and at the sound of his mate's voice, his eyes open only to shut almost instantly. 

Tingles shoot up his arm and he can feel her hand in his. He clings to it, the only real thing that he understands right now. Everything else doesn't make sense. 

Where is he? Why is it so bright and why does his mouth feel like he's been eating cotton balls?

He clears his throat and after squeezing Elara's hand again, tries to open his eyes slowly. 

"Elara," like an angel sent to earth, her face appears in his vision, a halo of light around her, "My love," his voice sounds off to his own ears, and when he tries to lift his hand to cup her face his arm shakes and falls back to his side. 

"Shhh, you're still weak," she rushes out, tears running down her cheeks. 

She can't help herself. Her fingers move down his cheek, over his jaw, and tracing his lips lightly. She is just so happy that he is awake, that he is okay now. She keeps her hands on him, tracing soft patterns up his arms and as much as it reassures her, it is comforting to him as well.  

"I'll leave you two," Ki says stepping back until he's at the door. Somehow, the moment seems too private, too intimate for him to witness. 

He doesn't give Elara the chance to respond before escaping the room, the ache in his chest returning as he walks aimlessly from the room. 

"Who was that?" Bennett had hardly noticed the man who was standing next to his mate until he started to walk away. 

But there was something familiar about him, something that Bennett couldn't quite put his finger on.

"It's a long story," Elara says, grabbing Bennett's face between her hands and forcing him to look at her, "I love you so much," 

"Please don't cry," he can feel his strength slowly coming back but knows he still has a bit to go. He moves over a tiny bit, opening his arms enough for his mate to get the hint and fold herself against him. 

Having her in his arms, her cheek pressed against his chest with his nose in her hair feels like coming home; like working a five thousand-piece puzzle and finally clicking that last stray piece into place. 

"I was so worried," She mumbles, clinging a little tighter to him and even though his body is still a little tender and sore, he doesn't flinch. There is no pain he could feel that would make him let go of her. 

"Nothing will keep me from you," he says, pressing a kiss to the top of her head, "We've got nothing but time. What did I miss," the mystery man pops into his head and the curiosity to know who he was is strong. 

"Where do I even start?" Elara lets out a small laugh before launching into the long, impossible story of everything that has happened in the last couple of days. 

Bennett is quiet as he absorbs everything. Elara was right it was a lot to take in and when she falls asleep in his arms, even despite his comfort, he wants out of the bed. He feels better and is anxious to move.

He slips out of bed easily, tucking his pillow against Elara before kissing her forehead gently and pulling the blanket around her shoulders. 

No one stops him as he walks out of the room and he can't help but wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Shouldn't some nurse or doctor see a formerly comatose patient walking and think to check on him? 

But it doesn't matter, he supposes. He's up and with having missed so much, there is no time to waste.