20

Elara spent the day doing what she did best when she didn't want to think. She cleaned. The packhouse practically shimmered with how many coats of polish she used on the shelves and counter spaces.

Even her house was clean but she was careful to use only unscented products, not wanting to lose Bennett's scent yet. It was the only thing that was keeping her anxiety in check. It's only been hours since he was last here, last in her arms, but it feels like weeks.

He had called her just before sun down, informing her that he made it to his mothers house. Elara almost burst into tears at the sound of his voice, but managed to hold it together.

She could hear his mothers' excited voice in the background asking question after question about his mate and if she should bring the photo albums or not.

"No, mother. There will be time for that later," Bennett says, pulling the phone away from his mouth and watching his mother freeze while reaching for the photo albums. He's smiling though, knowing his mother was just happy for him.

Her son finally met his mate, something that his brother Ellis hadn't been able to find before he died. Bennett often found himself wondering about his brothers unknown mate.

Where ever she was, does she know somewhere deep down that her mate is dead? Did she feel like a part of herself died, like his mother did?

His eyes move to his mother, who thankfully left the photo albums alone and has gone back to packing clothes with a small smile. It's the first real smile that has graced her face since his dad and brother had been killed.

A smile that months ago, Bennett had thought wasn't possible. There were times when he was scared to come home, scared to see if his mother was still there waiting for him or if she had gone to join her mate and son.

Not that he felt his mother would leave him purposefully. But having found Elara, he couldn't imagine the pain of losing her. Of having to wake up day after day knowing that he wouldn't be able to hold her or kiss her. The idea alone makes him long for her again and remind him just how strong his mother truly is.

"Have I told you that I love you?" He asks Elara, with a small smile of his own, listening to the sound of his mate on the other end.

"Not since this morning. I was begining to think that you changed your mind," Elara teases, some of the ache in her chest easing.

"Never. And I'll remind you again the minute I get back," there's a promise in his tone that makes Elara's heart flutter with anticipation.

Grace appears in her peripheral vision, motioning to her that dinner is ready. She can tell from Graces face that she didn't want to interupt, but it's no secret that Grace, and Everett for that matter, are worried about her today. This is the most she's spoken since Bennett left.

"I'll be waiting for you to keep that promise," she says almost sadly, nodding to Grace that she understands.

"I won't keep you waiting long, Starshine," They're both reluctant to hang up, but somehow they do.

Everett kept shooting his sister concerning looks throughout dinner. He watched as she pushed her food around her plate only actually taking a bite when she noticed him looking. He knew she was just missing her mate, but she was neglecting her own needs and that frustrated him.

How many times has he had to leave the pack and Grace behind for a day or two? Had Grace been so lethargic everytime? He certainly missed her, yes. And he knew the exact ache that Elara had first mentioned earlier that day, but starving himself was never an option.

"He'll be back tomorrow, Elara," Everett tried to reassure her, hoping it would get her to eat something.

The night was no better for her. How many times had Elara slept peacefully in her bed? Even with Bennett's scent still clinging to the pillow next to her, she couldn't get comfortable - couldn't relax.

Her bed was too big suddenly and too cold one side, but it was more than that. Something close to dread began to ice her veins. It was illogical, completely. She tried to reassure herself that it was worry and nothing more, but something inside her was telling her she was wrong.

That something was going to happen.

The sun rose over the mountains and Elara opened her eyes at the howls in the distance. Feet slapping against wood floors sounded and she sat up in bed when Everett nearly broke down the door to her room.

"Go with Grace to the Safe house!" Everett nearly shouted, moving to grab her arm and literally pull her out of bed, "We're under attack, hurry!" Grace was at the top of the stairs, chewing on her lip anxiously as she waited for Elara.

Everett kissed his mate quickly, pressing every emotion into his lips and allowing them to move to hers. His hand cupped her cheek gently as he looked into her eyes before looking at Elara.

"I'll go out first to make sure it's clear. Give it two minutes then get to the safe house," with a final look to his mate and sister, Everett rushes down the stairs and out the door.

Silence surrounds the women as they listen. No fighting sounds from outside, a good sign the coast is clear. Taking hands, they rushed down the stairs and broke into a run the second their feet touched the grass.

The safe house in sight, another howl tore through the air. Elara didn't know what, but something was wrong and whatever it was - was pulling at her. Her body, her wolf urging her to go the opposite way, toward where the fight sounded from.

"Elara! We have to hurry!" Grace was pulling on her hand, desperate to get Elara moving again, but when Elara tried to take a step forward, her body revolted.

Not that way! Her mind screamed and she decided in that moment to follow he instinct.

"Grace listen to me," She grabbed Grace's hand tightly, pushing her toward the house, "Don't wait for me... go,"

"What -"

"I can't explain Grace, Just go. For Everett." Elara didn't wait for Grace to say anything. She hugged her quickly before turning around and sprinting off in the opposite direction.

Elara could smell the blood the closer she got to the fight. Growls, hisses and yelps of pain could be heard ringing through the trees as she pushed herself further. She didn't have a plan, not even anything small that could be considered a plan.

All she had was the little bit of training that was unsucessful last time and a need to move faster than she ever had before.

Chaos.

The land in front of the packhouse was a bloodbath war-zone. Wolves fighting the human vampires, bodies strewn on the floor from both sides and in the middle near the alpha's, a wolf that Elara instantly recognozied as Bennett.

She didn't have time to question when or how he was there - It was as if the entire world turned into slow motion. A man with dark eyes appeared from the shadows, his eyes intent on her mate who looked like a savage hell hound the way he was fighting.

Sethos.

He stepped stepped closer to Bennett and Elara's wolf surged forward, shredding the clothes she was wearing and pushing herself forward.

A howl of pain sounded from the side, but Elara was tunnel vision on Sethos as she lept and tackled him to the ground, her jaws snapping looking for anything to give her the upper hand.

Surprise flickered on his face for a minute before he began to fight Elara off. But the distraction was long enough for Elara to get a good chunk from his shoulder before she was shoved off of him. She skidded in the dirt, landing just a few feet away, but a new vampire stood between Elara and the God.

Blood was pouring from his shoulder as he eyed Elara with disgust before flicking to something to her side. A small, sick smirk overtook Sethos' lips before he hissed something and turned to flee. She didn't want to let him get away but something told Elara to look to her left.

Bennett lay on the ground, his large wolf panting heavily, with a knife sticking out of his side and blood pooling in the grass.

An anger that Elara has never known before flowed through her, tinting her vision blood red. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the vampire who stood between her and Sethos before began to stalk towards her.

<3 <3 <3 <3

*UNEDITED*

StarShine (Temporarily On Hold)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें