8

For the first time since Elara shifted, she didn't dream of the garden or the raven-haired woman.  Should she be happy about that or upset, she wasn't sure. But as she stretched and opened her eyes to the empty room it was the furthermost thing from her mind. 

She could smell Bennett still in the house but was a little sad she didn't get to see him the second her eyes opened. Rationally, she knows there's nothing but time ahead of them to wake up to each other though. 

"Good morning, Starshine," Bennett walked into the room holding two mugs of coffee, "I wanted to make you breakfast but Grace about killed me when I grabbed all the stuff for pancakes." 

Elara's heart kicked her in the ribs when he leaned over and kissed her cheek before handing her a mug of coffee. She couldn't hide the smile even if she wanted to.

"She shooed me away saying it was a french toast kind of morning and that I could bring you coffee and tell you that the Alpha's will be waiting for us after breakfast." Bennett sat next to her on the bed, his back resting against her headboard.

She sipped her coffee, noting that it was made exactly how she liked it. Grace had told Bennett how his mate took her coffee and he added it to his running Elara list. 

"I appreciate you trying though." Elara bumped her shoulder with his, loving how easy it is to be with him.

She had thought, no matter how briefly, that it would be awkward between them considering they had spent the night together. She had told herself that nothing had happened but sleep, however, it was the first time she had shared a bed with someone who wasn't family.

But here was Bennett, looking as if he'd always been right next to her in that bed drinking coffee. If that wasn't enough to kick her heart into overdrive, the nickname he gave her is. 

She just couldn't figure out why he chose that over all other nickname options. 

"Why'd you call me Starshine?" she asked innocently, not wanting him to think she hates the nickname.

It's the opposite, in fact. It seems that everything Bennett does has her heart and stomach competing in a somersault contest. 

She had spent so much time trying to think about the future. Where they'd live and what pack would be their home when they both had things to lose and people that would be left behind. 

But it was in this moment, looking at Bennett sipping his own mug of coffee that she realized, if he asked her, she would leave with him. 

It's a bittersweet thought.

Bennett looked at his mate sitting next to him. It's already so natural and it's something he's already used to. It may have only been there first night sleeping in the same bed but he knew he'd never be able to sleep alone again. 

He stared at Elara until she turned to look at him. Her blue eyes, wide and innocent as she stares back at him and he knows that the nickname could not have been more spot on.

"Because the stars could only wish to shine like your eyes." Elara was sure that when he reached his hand toward her, he was about to catch her heart as it flew out of her chest towards him.

She could feel her heart calling out to him, begging him to take it to his chest instead. It no longer wanted Elara.

Her breath caught when his fingers grazed her cheek, tucking her unkempt hair behind her ear. Everything about him, everything he does has an effect on her and she loves it.

She had barely just lost herself in Bennett's touch when Everett shouted up the stairs that breakfast was ready. The disappointment was an easy read on both of them as they pulled apart.

*

"And how's the newly mated pair?" Alpha Gabriel stood from behind his desk as everyone filed back into the office. 

With Bennett consuming most, if not all, of her thoughts, Elara had almost forgotten what it was that brought Bennett here in the first place.

The dread set in when they approached the pack house. It was like a dark cloud was sitting just above the house, ready to downpour and ruin Elara's day.

It all comes down to this moment. There will be no uncertainty after this. Everett and Elara will have there answers about their parents and can finally move on.

"It's more than I thought it would ever be," Bennett responds, smiling down at Elara. 

She wasn't sure if she smiled back. She wasn't even sure if she heard a question asked as her mind raced with thoughts of what's coming. 

"I'm happy for you Bennett!" Alpha Rafael clapped him on the shoulder before turning to the remaining people in the room, "Have a seat, we'll get started." 

The room falls into an eeire silence as Grace and Elara sit stiffly in the chairs with their mates standing behind them. As if asked, they both reached out for the others hand for support.

Grace may not have actually known her mates' parents, but she was just as involved in this. They raised an amazing son and a wonderful daughter, so Grace knew that they were exceptional people. 

"Rafael, would you please start?" Alpha Gabriel nodded towards him before resting back in his chair with his hands folded together. 

Elara doesn't miss the look that Bennett shares with his Alpha. It was as if the two were sharing a secret and one that she wasn't sure she wanted to be a part of anymore. 

"We had reached out to the packs surrounding my own, looking for records of deaths that were unexplained or considered killed by rogues but weren't proven. We had a theory and the best way to test it was to find evidence." Alpha Rafael crossed one leg over the other and Elara could tell he was trying to think of how best to continue. 

"We've compared all the files sent with the facts we had. There were an astounding amount of matches, including the death of your parents." Sympathy leaked through the Alphas' tone, but neither of the siblings wanted sympathy.

At this point, they just wanted the truth about what happened to their parents. 

"I think it's best if Bennett continues from here. He ran point on this investigation." Elara's stomach twisted into knots as she turned to face her mate.

Her mate who had had the answers she wanted this whole time but couldn't even warn her about what was coming. 

"It all started five years ago."

<3 <3 <3 <3

Cliffhanger!!! Haha I'm evil! 😈