18

Elara stood just outside hearing distance with Grace, watching Everett talk animatedly to a shirtless Bennett. 

In another situation, she probably would stare at the way his muscles moved just under his skin or how his pants were hanging loosely around his hips. 

But watching Everett practically rip her mate from her arms when they came down to breakfast and drag him away just far enough that she and Grace couldn't hear anything, made her anxious. 

The exchange looked less than friendly, but when Everett said for her and Grace to stay, they could tell by the tone in his voice, he meant it. 

Still, if she wanted to, what was the worse that Everett would do if she walked over there? 

"They're probably just talking about the next step in preparations and safety," Grace said, her fingers playing idly with a delicate chain around her neck. 

She may not admit it out loud, but Grace's actions spoke volumes. She was just as nervous as Elara.

Bennett responded to whatever Everett had said with a gesture towards her. She wondered if she should mention to Grace that if it were preparations that they wouldn't be pointing to her, but decide against it. 

Instead, she found herself tracing the mark that sat at the junction where her neck met her shoulder.

The ridges of the bite, only hours old, still tingled slightly and the memory of being with her mate floated through her mind. 

"Hey," Grace put a soft hand on Elara's shoulder, waiting until Elara looked at her before speaking, "It's okay. in all seriousness, if I know your brother like I think I do, he's just giving Bennett the talk your dad isn't here to give," her eyes were sympathetic when she said this but Elara understood. 

Everett had always and will always look out for her - mate or not. 

Her eyes moved back to where her mate and brother were still talking.

Grace and Elara both gasp as Everett reaches back and punches Bennett in the face. Both of them moving towards their mates before Bennett can even right himself. 

Everett says one more thing before walking away calmly, leaving Bennett holding his bloodied nose. 

Anger moves through her but the need to check her mate outweighs everything. For now.

 She doesn't even want to make eye contact with Everett when she's hurrying past, but he has other ideas. 

His hand shoots out and grabs her elbow, waiting patiently for her to turn to look at him. 

"I'm sorry, I know he'll be good to you," he says softly, before pulling her head for a tight hug, "Mom and Dad would approve," He whispers, pressing a soft kiss to the side of her head before gesturing towards Bennett.

Elara stands stock still, looking at her brother like he grew two heads, trying to figure out what just what happened.

After another second, she shakes her head and closes the distance between her and Bennett. 

"Are you okay?" her hands quickly move his out of the way inspecting the damage, but his nose has already stopped bleeding. 

"Okay?" He says grabbing her small wrists in his large hands. 

The heat from his skin warming her as he pulled her closer. The intensity in his eyes making her blush for reasons she didn't quite understand.

"That was just a brotherly tap," he laughed but it didn't quite reach his eyes, "Ellis would hit me harder than that for looking at him wrong."