19

Elara's fingers trace gentle patterns on Bennett's stomach as she listens to the steady beat of his heart under her head. It's like a lullaby trying to put her to sleep, but tonight it's not working. She's too worried about Bennett leaving in the morning to get his mother and the fact that he can sleep so peacefully upsets her a little more.

It's unreasonable, she knows, but that doesn't stop the anxiety and it certainly doesn't stop the dread in her stomach when he keeps referring to the trip as 'a trip home'.

But it is his home and it's also a trip that will take him two days and one night. Bennett is so confident in how easy it will be and Elara doesn't want to be the black cloud, but with everything going on, it's an easy role to fall in to.

"I can feel you worrying, Starshine," Bennett says, his voice husky from sleep. His fingers move to stroke through her hair gently.

Elara doesn't make an attempt to move. She hadn't known he'd woken up, too lost in her own thoughts and she doesn't want to let him go.

"Of course I'm worried," Her fingers stilling before she lays her palm flat over on his chest, feeling the beat of his heart match the beat of hers, "Something doesn't feel right and I can't shake it. Don't you feel it?" Elara risks moving her head slightly to look at her mate.

Bennett raises his right hand, his fingers gently smoothing out Elara's worry lines. Her eyes drift closed as she soaks up the comfort her mate is offering.

She briefly wonders if the touch of her mate will ever dull but quickly dismisses that thought. She knows that no matter how long they have together, each touch will be like the first one.

Bennett doesn't answer her. How could he? He would be foolish to guarantee a safe trip, especially with everything going on lately. He can no more guarantee that the sky will be crystal blue tomorrow for it's hard to tell when a storm will blow in.

But everything inside him is demanding that he comforts his mate, to reassure her that everything will be fine.

His hands trail down her sides moving to wrap tightly around her waist. He pulls her body impossibly closer until their foreheads are touching.

Their breaths mingle between them and both close their eyes savoring the moment.

"Elara," His hand brushes along her cheek before gently cupping her face in his hands, "I promise that I will come back to you."

"That's a mighty big promise," she whispers, her tears already building in her eyes and threatening to spill.

"Not in terms of what I would do for you," he's confident in that and when he opens his mouth to say more, Elara silences him with a kiss instead.

He's perfect, she thinks as she pulls her lips away. Bennett stares at her before pulling her forward and pressing a soft kiss to her forehead.

"I love you, Elara," he whispers against her skin, leaving his lips lingering on there, savoring everything about the moment.

"I love you," Elara responds, a stray tear finally escaping her eye but she's quick to hide it, "Get some rest, you need it for your trip," she moves to rest her head against his chest again, letting herself be calmed by his breathing.

The sun rises far too quickly for her taste. If she slept at all, she isn't sure but wrapped in her mates' arms she hadn't felt safer. The dread never left, if anything it's rooted deeper into her than before, and as she watches the sunlight creep across the floor of her room, she has to swallow a panic attack.

Elara hugs Bennett tightly before slowly and gently rolling out of his arms to get ready for the day.

The shower isn't as relaxing as she had first hoped. The water running over her body as she stood there trying to get out of the funk she was in.

Bennett would be okay... He will be okay. She repeats to herself over and over again. The anxiety and worry are just from everything going on and it doesn't help but that mom and dad said they would only be gone a short time too.

She takes her time drying herself and changing in the bathroom before stepping back into the room with her wet haired falling in tangles past her shoulders.

"You look beautiful," Bennett says, sitting on the bed like he had been waiting for her. He's already dressed for the day and Elara can't even bring herself to smile at his compliment.

"Why can't I go with you?" She asks with a dejected sigh, tossing her towel into the hamper by the closet, "I should be allowed too,"

Bennett sighs, running a hand through his hair. He stands and walks to Elara, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her back against his front.

"It's too dangerous with the vamp -"

"But not too dangerous for you?!" Elara interrupts, pulling herself from his arms and turning to face him with a fury in her eyes, "Why is it okay for you but not for me?"

She crosses her arms over her chest and dares with her eyes for Bennett to say something about it being more dangerous because she's a girl. She'll be ready to pounce the second the lips dare to leave his mouth.

"It's not," He says, risking stepping closer to his mate, "It's just as dangerous for me, which is why I can't stand the idea of you out there. But Elara, my love, It's my mother. I need to get her here and I need to be there to protect her if something does happen,"

Elara doesn't have an answer to that. How can she argue with that, even if she wants to for the sake of being stubborn? Bennett's hands wrap gently around her biceps, moving slowly up and down as he waits for Elara to meet his gaze.

"If something were to happen, I couldn't be worried about protecting you and my mother. it would be too much."

Tears fall down Elara's cheeks and after a second she drops her arms and pulls Bennett into her arms in a tight hug. His hand smooths down her wet hair as they cling to each other.

A knock on the door startles them but they don't pull away, they don't even acknowledge the knock.

"Bennett? Elara? The Alpha's and travel party are here." Everett says gently from the other side of the wooden door.

"I don't like this," Elara mumbles into Bennett's chest, her tears probably soaking his shirt, "Please just come back to me,"

"Nothing could stop me," Bennett says, pressing a kiss to her head and pulling her back to look at her, "Come hell or high water I will come home to you." He leans and presses a firm kiss to his mate, his lips lingering with hers.

He can taste the salt from her tears but can't say or do anything to make it better and that kills him.

He pulls away quickly and walks out of the room, leaving her crying in the empty doorway. It hurt him to do but had he not just walked away he might never have found the strength to leave.

<3 <3 <3 <3
I'm so sorry about the wait! This COVID-19 has just been crazy and it's throwing my schedule off! I hope you are all well and safe!!!!