21

Everett stood frozen watching his sister in equal parts shock and horror. She had never been a fighter and when he had been trying to train her, it began a fight with himself and her mate. But watching her now as she moves through the vampires in her path, only one word comes to mind.

Savage.

It was like all the humanity that Elara had was gone in a blink and left behind was a brutal killer. All the wolves stood watching as Elara went from one kill to the next, unsure if they should jump in and help or leave her to it.

The only one not frozen was Alpha Rafael. It's not that he wasn't shocked to see the once timid wolf he had first met, become this warrior of death, but he had seen it before from her mate. Bennett had transformed instantly the same way when his father and brother had died and although it was curious that his mate was doing it now, he knew there were other things he needed to focus on.

Like getting Bennett and other injured wolves to the pack doctor. It takes a minute but once the wolves see the Alpha shifting and moving to help the injured, they all follow suit, not needing a command.

Everett sees this out of the corner of his eye, but can't bring himself to move. His gaze solely  on the wolf that looks like his sister, but currently is something else. He can't leave her, he never would be able to. Elara might need him to help, although it seems she has it under control as she kills another three vampires in quick succession.

Bodies of the vampires were laid around her and when the last one was dead, she stood among them like an angel of death. Her breathing rapid, the huffs of air escaping her muzzle in audible pants. her fur matted and bloodied from where the vampires had tried to kill her instead.

Everett shifted back, grabbing the first pair of shorts he saw on the ground. He watched Elara with caution, her eyes wild as she searched the trees for any survivors. Her posture ready to strike the next threat she sees.

"Elara?" he called softly, flinching when her wild eyes landed on him. He threw his hands in front of him, a sign of surrender as he took hesitant steps forward.

"Elara, it's me, Everett," it was like approaching a wild animal, but he knew despite the feral look in her eyes, that his sister was in there somewhere. Something had caused her to snap, and although seeing her that way had scared him, he knew she wouldn't hurt him.

If she was in control.

"I need you to shift back, Elara," his voice was calm and steady despite the erratic beat of his heart, "Bennett needs you to shift back,"

Hearing her mates name had the haze of red lifting from her vision. She found herself staring at her brother, who looked at her like she would attack him. Her eyes scanned her surroundings, shock jolting through her as she took in all the dead vampires surrounding her. There had to be at least twenty, if not more.

What happened? She struggled to remember but was coming up blank. She had seen Sethos, she was sure it was him as she had never seen anyone with such dark eyes. He had a knife and was moving towards Bennett.

Her eyes searched the area frantically, but she couldn't find her mate. Where was he?! He had been stabbed - she had seen it and that's the last clear image she remembers. Bennett's cry in pain, the knife out of his back, blood on her tongue and red.

So much red.

"It's okay, Elara," Everett could tell his sister was coming back into control so he took a bigger step towards her, "It's okay. It's okay," he chanted over and over as he watched her eyes sweep over the bodies and back to him.

Someone appeared next to Everett, handing him a blanket. He didn't even look at him, didn't break eye contact with Elara. He just muttered a thank you and opened the blanket so that Elara could shift.