A soul dark as his name

I walked into the Great Hall. I noticed a few people staring at me. I saw someone waving me over to them. "Iris", they shouted. It was Hermione.

I ran towards her. Sitting across from her was Harry and Ron. Hermione scooted over so I could sit next to her.

Even though I didn't really know her, I was grateful for how kind she's been towards me.

I ate lunch in silence. My whole life, I hadn't been around a lot of people so I was very shy.

"So Iris. Are you planning to join Quidditch next year?" Ron asked.

I shook my head. "I'm not into Quidditch", I said.

"But you will come to the first game, won't you?" Hermione asked. "Harry's going to be playing for Gryffindor".

"I'll probably be in the library, but I wish you luck", I said.

I began to eat the food that appeared on my plate. I thought about what kind of book I should get from the library.

"Do you know Sirius Black?" Harry asked.

I looked at him. "Why would you think that?" I asked.

"I thought...I mean, I assumed you two are related", Harry said. "Is he your father?"

"How would I know? I never met my parents", I said.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other. Then, they looked at Harry. "I'm sorry", Harry said to me.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" Seamus shouted. He laid a newspaper from the Daily Prophet on the table. Me, Harry, Hermione and Ron ran towards him. Every Gryffindor had their attention on Seamus.

"Who?" Ron asked.

"Sirius Black", Seamus said. I knew how this would go. Everything was about Sirius Black.

We all looked at the paper. "Daulph town? That's not far from here", Hermione said.

"You don't think he'd come to Hogwarts, do you?" Neville asked nervously.

"No way. There are dementors at every exit", I said.

"Dementors? He already slip past them once. Who's to say he won't do it again?" Seamus asked.

"That's right. Black could be anywhere", one of the Gryffindors said. "It's like trying to catch smoke or trying to catch smoke with your bare hands".

--

After flying class with Madam Hooch, I didn't end up in the hospital wing like Neville. But I fell off the broom and landed hard on the ground. It was bloody painful.

I was helped up by a Hufflepuff. The Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors helped each other and saved each other when someone fell off their brooms. Slytherin, on the other hand, laughed uncontrollably except for one Slytherin. He didn't laugh a bit, but I don't trust Slytherin students so I can't say that he seemed nice. He did look too old for a 1st year though.

After class, I went to the library to read about the first Wizarding War. The 3rd years were going to Hogsmeade. Of course, I couldn't go since I'm a first year.

While I was in the library, the Slytherin who didn't laugh when people fell off their brooms, came into the library.

He grabbed a book and walked towards me. "Mind if I sit here?" He asked.

I nodded nervously. He sat next to me. We were in silence as we read our books. He glanced at me and looked back at his book. I glanced at him and looked back at my book.