04: Trauma, My Dear Friend ~♪

SCENE I

SCENE I

"Barbatos."

He flinched and the sweet music he orchestrated immediately stopped. The vast courtyard grew silent, but it was an eerie type of silent, as if your disturbing emotions had been handwritten in the air. The only sound heard from miles was the simple, whispering confusion of the musician's previous audience.

His eyes blinked and shifted towards you, widening as they met your gaze. You could see the terror in his eyes, and it filled you with a heart-wrenching feeling.

Fighting the urge to let any growing tears escape, you peered into his colourful eyes. He did the same, but despite the both of you acknowledging each other, neither of you could utter a word.

"Why'd he stop playing?"

"What's going on?"

Questions arose throughout the crowd, and for a good reason too.

"Wait... Did that girl just say Barbatos?!"

"She did! Does that mean-"

"Don't be silly! Look at her, she's wearing a hospital gown. She's obviously crazy."

"Yeah!"

"Go on! Get lost! Can't you see you've interrupted this young man's performance?"

With the comments about you beginning to get out of hand, your friend, Barbatos, finally worked up the courage to speak.

"Vlanche..." He muttered, barely even audible to you. Carefully, he rested the trusty lyre by his side, so he could use his spare hand to grasp his head. It seemed he was visibly distressed, and unfortunately, this only made his admirers all the more agitated.

"Look what she's done to him!"

"Oh come on, someone up the security at the hospital. A wacko has escaped!"

In the blink of an eye, the surrounding group of people had hoarded all around you, leaving no room for escape. Their harmful comments began to hurt your ears, so you huddled your arms tightly around your head, hoping it would ease the pain and somehow end the constant noise. Your ears began to ring again and it grew more and more agonizing every second.

Fortunately for you, your old friend noticed.

"Stop." Barbatos hushed the crowd, finally snapping out of his little trance.

That one, single word was all it took, and you had been freed as the group refocused their attention on the bard. The little prick had them all wrapped around his pinky finger, and it disgusted you.

"Venti, are you alright?" One curious passerby wondered, furrowing her brows and completely ignoring the stress you were in.

Seeing Barbatos again revived a lot of memories in your head, whether those be good or bad memories. It was very clear that you were going through something at the moment, and it saddened you that not even one single soul cared to help.