06: With Wine Comes Truth ~♪

SCENE I

SCENE I

"Haha! I knew he'd come! That old drunk is way to predictable..."

Just as you had suspected, Barbatos sure had shown up to the Angel's Share tavern. In fact, he arrived way earlier than anticipated, so you weren't quite prepped for the ear-bleeding noise he was sure to bring.

Trying not to panic, you gently rested your glass of grape juice onto a nearby table and sat. You took a few deep breaths and calmed your shaky self, quieting yourself as to hear him speak.

"Traveller, what would you like?" The chilly, red-haired man from earlier addressed who you assumed was the Honorary Knight, completely and utterly ignoring Barbatos.

Your old friend groaned in surprise. "What's this?! I'm here too, you know!" His screechy voice hurt your ears.

"I realize that." The Ragnvindr responded in sarcastic manner. "But I don't intend on serving you..."

"Ah." Barbatos had been stunned to silence. He was at a loss for words.

You almost burst out laughing. This was sure to be a comedic scene, for in the past, whenever Barbatos was rejected his wine, he would always throw tantrums like a whiny, little toddler. You definitely hadn't missed that aspect of him.

It seemed you weren't the only one who thought the encounter hilarious, for even from upstairs you could hear the Honorary Knight and his pixie friend try and stifle a few silent snickers.

"But why...?" The bard sounded absolutely heartbroken. Oh, how wine took out the emotion in him! "Oh Sir Supreme Grump, whatever has gotten into you~?!"

A classic line! It seemed Barbatos had begun to mask his feelings into theatrics again. It was something he had gotten used to doing. Throughout all of the years that you knew him, it had become clear that he didn't like to show his true emotions, and he had a harming habit of brushing them all off with simple, carefree jokes.

"Sir Supreme Grump?!" The floating friend of Aether's toppled over into a laughing fit. "That has a nice ring to it! I'll say it fits you well, Diluc!"

This 'Supreme Grump' was not amused. "I was going to have a change of heart and allow you a drink, but now I don't think I will."

"Wait, hold on! Did I say Supreme Grump? I meant uh-" Barbatos paused, probably attempting to come up with something kind to say. It was definitely a struggle for someone like him. "Supreme Maker of Fine Wine!"

"You aren't making your case any better..." The Ragnvindr complained and rolled his eyes, obviously irritated by the bard. "I'll brew you something if you promise to pay... oh- and if you promise to shut up."

"Anything for you, dear Diluc~!" The bard winked, cheery now that he could look forward to some wine. He twirled around, collapsed his arms onto the front counter, and breathed a sigh of relief.