12: Allies to Aid in War ~♪

SCENE I

SCENE I

"You and Venti clearly don't like each other very much, so Paimon was wondering... what exactly happened between you two?"

You knew that Paimon's question meant no harm whatsoever, for she had not a single clue of what she was asking. By her innocent, carefree manner, it was obvious to you that she didn't know the true gravity of what she asked, but despite this, you couldn't help feeling a little worked up.

You were definitely not going to tell her. You were never one to go around chattering about deep and personal matters like they were written on the back of your hand. In this circumstance especially, because that Honorary Knight sitting opposite you had been specifically instructed to keep you monitored by officials of Mondstadt. His ears were most likely perked up and ready for absolutely any bit of information he could gather about you. In fact, you even noticed him twitch every so slightly when Paimon addressed the question so flippantly.

Of course, if you decided not to share your past with them, they would think of it as rather suspicious, especially because their instructors already thought of you as a threat. Unbeknownst to them though, you had no damning secrets.

To you, since you knew the truth, there was very little about your history that would paint you as a bad person. To everyone else, there were countless reasons, and that factor is purely because they wouldn't believe you. No one had ever believed you.

"They're all on Barbatos' side. They always believe him. They always believe the gods."

There was no point of sharing anything, because all it would do is create yet another enemy. All it would do was create yet another obstacle in your way. You knew there was only one way to get people to believe you, and it certainly wasn't nonchalantly reciting your whole backstory to some strange floating child who happened to ask.

Everything will be revealed at the right time and in the right way, so that everyone understands it. You had confidence in that.

So as of now, you needed to get Aether and Paimon off your back, and what better way to do that than smoothly changing the subject in a way that they won't even notice!

There was something spiking your curiosity about the duo anyways, and as if time and fate were on your side, this was the perfect moment to ask.

"Before I can answer that, I have a question for you, Sir Honorary Knight— Actually... you too, Paimon. " From your words, Aether finally lifted his head from in between his arms and the two smiled in a gentle manner, with Paimon even tilting her head to the side for emphasis.