Chapter 1 - A Trip Down Memory Lane (Rewritten)

Dream's POV

After Dream's little 'event' a few months ago, the skeleton had begun to develop a habit of doing when he was really nervous. Because of this, the guardian's bones were chipped and scarred with old and new cuts.

The number of cuts he had was taking a toll on his body and magic. Dream's magic was constantly low, trying to heal the self-made cuts covering his small body.

Currently, the guardian was sitting on a small couch in a small cottage Ink had made for him. Some thoughts were going through his head at the moment. The most recent one was a request from Nightmare to meet in their old battleground and home Au, Dreamtale.

Sighing from exhaustion, Dream forced himself to his feet and concentrated his magic to make a hole in time and space. After mere moments, his magic fizzed to life. The color was filled with different shades of gold, with specks of silver and white sprinkled about. The magic gathered in front of him and soon formed a swirling portal, just large enough for him to get through

As Dream stepped through the golden haze, the color of the portal seemed to change a tad bit. If one were to look closely, one would see that the guardian's magical color now had an old, faded, golden color.

Now completely through the gateway, the positive guardian looked at the landscape surrounding him. 

Dream had not been here for over 500 years. It was a miracle that some creatures and plants could still live here. After the Tree of Feelings had lost all of its fruit, the landscape around it had withered and died, losing all the magic that had been keeping it alive, provided by the apples.

When Nightmare had gone on a rampage a thousand years ago and slaughtered the villagers, the nearby village had gradually crumbled, overcome with dust and foliage. As he wandered through the destroyed landscape, something in the corner of his eye caught Dream's attention. The ruins of the village library.

It used to contain all the best books in the village. Ambling over to the ruins, Dream was suddenly caught off guard by the onslaught of memories. Dozens of memories flashed through his head (or skull). 

Dizzy from the sudden thoughts, he had to sit down on an old wooden beam to keep from falling over from the now increasing headache.

Dream saw many things, some that he even questioned that were shown. He saw Nightmare and him before the incident, enjoying some nice cream, sold from the local vendor. He saw his brother eating the apple, with the townspeople surrounding him. And strange, saw the memory of when he was attacked. 

Before any more details could be seen in the memory, Dream was suddenly yanked out of his thoughts when a crash sounded somewhere in the destroyed building. Wandering through the ruins some more, the guardian found something that he thought he would never see again. 

It was a picture album from when he and Nightmare were younger. It was a time before the villagers had come and built their town. 

Dream's vision blurred, with tears beginning to spill out of his eye sockets. After a few seconds, a few tears soon turned into whole-blown sobbing. Big and salty drops of water dripped from his chin and hit the album covering, getting it slightly wet. 

After a few minutes, the skeleton finally got a grasp of his emotions and wiped his eyes, but they were still moist. Now having released some of his emotions, Dream decided to spend some time looking at the album. After all, he still had an hour to kill before Nightmare arrived. Opening to the first page, he began looking at the images in the book.

The first picture was the day they were born, still little fireballs of energy, not yet given a body. Nightmare, before the incident, was the purple ball with the pissed-off expression while Dream was the golden one with a serene face. 

(Image found at https://neronian-neko

(Image found at https://neronian-neko.tumblr.com/post/636313481825665024/
dreamcember-day-1-real-forms-i-love-these-babies.)

Turning the page, Dream found himself looking at the image of him and his brother playing tag together. The picture had been taken by one of the kinder villagers. 

However, before the guardian could continue any further, he heard footsteps in the distance. Swiftly standing up, Dream stuffed the book he was holding in his robe and head off towards the hill where the Tree of Feelings sat.

A/N - Sup' everyone! I hope you enjoy this new and improved chapter of A Ruined Heart. It took me absolutely FOREVER to get an idea for this. Anyway, have a nice day/night and happy late Valentine's Day.