Chapter 2 - Dance of Souls (Rewritten)

(Image found at https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/ace-4-trays/heal-my-soul-03)

Dream's POV

On his way to the tree, Dream felt as if he was being followed. After a while, he couldn't stand the suspense anymore and quickly spun around to face whoever was behind him. Surprisingly, nobody was there. 

Confused, the guardian turned around, only to come face to face with a black, tar-covered skull. Shouting out in surprise, Dream stumbled back and landed on his rear in the dirt.

Looking up, the guardian finally recognized the laughing figure in front of him as Shattered. Scrunching up his face in annoyance, Dream hauled himself to his feet. Rubbing his throbbing tailbone, he glared at the ghost, floating in front of him. 

Shattered was a ghost that only Dream could see. The reason why was because he came from a collapsing multiverse. In an act of desperation, the skeleton had opened a portal to Dream's multiverse and fell through. After, Shattered had wandered around and found the positive guardian's house. 

Shattered had then decided that it was a great idea to merge their souls and now they were stuck together with no way to separate. Anyway, now that he was back to his feet, Dream continued his journey to the center of the village.

Silence surrounded them from all sides. The only noises that were present were the crunching of his boots on the dirt, and the small breathes coming from the skeleton(s).

Finally, the quiet atmosphere was broken by Shattered. "So, what does little ol' Nighty want this time?", he taunted. Not knowing how to answer, Dream could only say, "I don't know what he wants, now be quiet."

The ghostly skeleton put a hand over the place his heart would be in mock sadness. "Oh boo, hoo! Dreamy was a meanie!" Groaning at Shattered's comment, the Dream continued in silence the rest of the way to the Tree of Feelings. As he climbed up the small hill it rested on, he couldn't help but feel anxious.

Different thoughts began running around inside his skull. Questions arose, such as, "What if he wants to start a fight?" or "What if Nightmare never shows up?" All the thoughts began to cause stress began to build up, but it soon dissipated when a portal opened up at the base of the hill.

Out from the swirling vortex of magic stepped Nightmare, Dream's opposite and long-time enemy. As the tar-covered skeleton came closer, the positive guardian's anxiety grew.

Finally, when the two were standing a few feet away from each other, Nightmare decided to speak up first. "Didn't actually think you'd come," he said. Timidly rubbing the back of his skull, Dream could only reply with a measly "Yup."

Both guardians were silent for a few moments until the tar-covered skeleton in front of him broke the tension. "So . . ." he started, clapping his hands together. "I know that we both need to resurrect our soulbond somehow, courtesy of us fighting." Bewildered at his words, Dream spoke up. "Wait, wait, wait! What do you mean by 'soulbond'?"

Raising an eyebrow (do skeletons even have those???), the negative guardian casually answered, "We have a balance to keep, Dream. Remember the words spoken to us when we were first created?" 

His mind drew a blank until he finally could work his brain cells again and remembered. "Oooh!" Dream sheepishly rubbed the back of his skull.

How could he have forgotten such an important detail?! Well. . .being trapped in stone for 500 years sure takes a toll on your mind. Anyway, after the guardians' little conversation, they finally began the binding process. 

If you are wondering why a 'soulbond' is so important to Nightmare and Dream, it is because that kind of bond keeps them both alive. If one dies, the other will also pass away. Their bond was weakened because of both sides fighting each other for so long. If not addressed soon, both sides will either fall ill or perish. 

Back to the guardians. Nightmare's dark phalanges took Dream's light ones and pulled him in a bit closer. A light yellow blush took form on the positive guardian's facial bones, making him look like a lightbulb. Thankfully, the darker didn't seem to notice.

Suddenly, Nightmare spoke up, startling Dream. "Ready?" He asked. the positive entity briskly nodded his head. Both activated their magic simultaneously. 

In his soul, Dream could feel something that fell dormant since the incident awaken. Gold and purple energy flowed out of both bodies and mixed together, creating a soft, flowing vortex of positive and negative magic.

Both Nightmare and Dream could feel something inside of them grow stronger almost as if it was being reinforced with the magic. After a moment or two, the magic settled down and dissolved into thin air. Dream could feel new energy running through his bones, the same thing happened with Nightmare.

Silence filled the air but was broken by Dream this time. "That was. . .interesting, to say the least." Nightmare could only nod since the magic he expelled from his body wore him out. Since their business was now done, Nightmare opened a portal, prepared to leave. 

A part of Dream was sad to see him go and wished he could spend more time with his opposite. However, Nightmare suddenly whirled around and did something the guardian did not expect.

The darker skeleton grabbed Dream's skull and quickly pecked him on the cheek. Releasing his head, Nightmare jumped through his portal and left Dream alone in Dreamtale, wondering what the heck just happened.

A/N - So, if anyone is rereading these chapters, I hope you can see that I am completely rewriting some chapters and just editing others. Hope you enjoyed the chapter.