Chapter 19 - Mysteries Arise

(Also, ~~~~~~~ means timeskip or switching to a different place.)

Dream's POV

The week was going by fast and Dream's condition was only worsening. It seemed that being in a different multiverse was causing his soul's condition to affect him faster than in his own. Nightmare was also beginning to get suspicious of him and that was nerve-racking for Dream.

Because his opposite was getting worried more and more every day, Dream might as well just tell him. Currently, the two guardians were watching the Meme Squad trio play Mario Kart. 

Tapping Nightmare on the shoulder, he said "Night, I need to talk to you about something." Confused, the negative one followed his positive other to somewhere private. 'Night, I . . . I need your help."

Worry took over the face of his lover. "Dream . . . what happened?" he asked. "I don't know! At home, I was fine but now, my soul is getting corrupted!" Nightmare's eyes widened at the mention of his soul. "Dream, we need to go back to our multiverse to research more. Sci might be able to help us out with this. Can you show me your soul?"

Nodding, Dream summoned the apple-shaped soul into his hand. Gingerly, Nightmare stroked it with one finger. Shivering at the touch, Dream stayed still as the guardian in front of him examined the condition of his very being.

After a while, Nightmare said "I've heard of this before, thankfully. I have a book in my library about it." 

Breathing a sigh of relief, Dream quickly put his soul back where it belonged, in his chest. Out of the blue, Nightmare suddenly asked, "Why is your soul in that condition in the first place? I thought that us being nearby each other would keep it stable."

A theory popped into Dream's head. He said it out loud. "I think that being in another multiverse caused the disease the speed up since there is another Dream and Nightmare here." Rubbing his chin in thought, Nightmare finally spoke up. "If that is the case, we need to get back home as soon as possible."

Nodding in agreement, the twins began heading back to the house. As they walked, Dream suddenly hunched over in pain. Shocked and worried, Nightmare quickly tried to support his fellow guardian as he threw up what looked like black gunk.

As the last of the stuff came out, Dream collapsed from weakness. The last thing he heard before drifting into darkness was Nightmare calling out his name repeatedly, telling him to stay awake.

~~~~~~~

When Dream opened his eyes once again he found himself in pure darkness. The only source of light was a candle whose light penetrated the darkness in front of him. Heading for the light, the positive guardian found himself facing Shattered.

Confusion filled his face. Calling out, Dream said "Shattered? What's going on?" Turning to face him, Dream noticed that his friend looked sickly, along with worried. With a sigh, the octopus look-a-like said "Dream, you need to get back to your multiverse as soon as possible. The sickness is spreading even faster than before."

Panic rose in the back of said skeleton's throat. "What!?" he said. Shattered raised his hand, silencing Dream on the spot. "Let me explain. This multiverse is affecting your soul because it has a different balance compared to yours. That difference alone makes you unstable."

He paused for a minute, letting that information sink in. "In order to be able to slow it down, you need to go to the original Dreamtale and take time to heal, otherwise you'll get even worse."

Sighing in defeat, Dream nodded in approval. However, Shattered wasn't done talking. "Before you wake up, there is something I need to tell you." With Dream looking at him in confusion, Shattered continued his explanation.

"I sense a disturbance in Dreamtale. It seems that someone or thing is still alive from the massacre committed by Nightmare. If that is the case, I am afraid that some villagers may have survived." With that word out, Dream immediately froze in fear and anger. The villager!? Alive!? The very ones that had beaten and abused both him and his brother!? 

The ones that he very much despised could possibly be alive and if they were, Dream would make sure they would experience hell from him and his twin personally. Soon, his vision began fading. Before he left, Shattered said, "Don't forget."

A/N - Sup' everyone! I know that this chapter is kinda short compared to how long the last one was but I didn't have a lot of ideas for this one. Hope you enjoyed.