• F O U R T E E N •

~ z a y n a ~

"What time is it?" Ali asked from the swing beside me.

It had stopped raining a couple of minutes ago, and we were just sitting on the swings in the park.

Pulling out my phone, I answered, "2:40."

"How much was it from here to school?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Well, we came running in around 10 minutes. So walking probably 15 to 20?" I guessed.

"Great." He moved back his wet hair that was sticking to his forehead.

I felt guilty. Ali skipped two classes and might miss practice.

"I'm sorry I-"

"No, Zayna," he interrupts me. "I came by choice. I was going to follow you either way. I couldn't just sit around while you were somewhere else upset. Okay?"

"But you have football and class," I argued.

"It's fine." He insisted. "Plus it's not like I'm staying captain of the football team forever. I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked me off the soccer team too." He said, his shoulders slumping.

"Why?"

"I'm late to class half the time." He stated, waving his hand around in exasperation. "I already got around seven lunch detentions. My grades are dropping, and if I keep it going, I'm out of both teams for good." He dug his shoe in the dirt.

"How do you know?"

"Trust me. The principal already talked to me. Something about my education is more important. Even the coach told me that if I don't get my act together, he's going to put someone else as captain."

"Can they keep you on the team, even not as captain?"

"I asked," he sighed. "He said that he might be able to keep me as the quarterback in my regular position, but he's not sure."

I know how difficult it would be for the school to remove him from the team. He was one of the best quarterbacks they've had. This, making him a great captain. I've never seen any of his games, but by how everyone talks about it, he was good. And removing him can negatively impact the performance of the rest of the team.

"Soccer?" I asked tentatively.

"They haven't lectured me about that yet." He murmured. He stayed silent for a few moments before getting off the swing and sitting on the ground.

Now I know what you're thinking. Zayna, why are you alone with Ali outside of school? To answer your question, I don't know.

I know I shouldn't be here with him or talking to him whatsoever. But when he came out in the rain just to comfort me, it meant the world. He suddenly wasn't the 18-year-old Ali anymore. He was the little Ali that would do anything to make me smile. He was the Ali Akram I've always known. My best friend.

As we chased each other in the rain, I felt like a little kid again. I felt like the little girl whose world would revolve around her only best friend. The person who read her like no other and knew her like no other. I felt free. At that moment, nothing else mattered.