Part 4: Unreasonable Payback

CHAPTER 4: Unreasonable Payback

December 25th, 2025.
3:33 am, Outskirts of New York City, America.
Fitzgerald Orphanage, Range Recruitment Centre.

I felt pathetic, not strong enough to rattle the chains around my tainted risks into the ice-cold snow above me, the potato sack on my malnourished form swivelled in protest every time I tried, the very little warmth I did have in my frail bones tarnished my ability to stand.

I hadn't stood properly in months. I almost couldn't remember what food was and why my body was still holding on so tightly after watching a girl younger than me, being beaten close to death and having her last moments talking to me-she died straight afterwards, in front of me. Another dead body of another child used to taunt me, to ruin my ability to dream.

I dreamt of fire.

Of wielding such warmth against my skin. I wanted so badly to know what that felt like, yet after so many years, I still dreamt of it sometimes, when I got to close my eyes and not scream. I'm strong enough to dream and not envision that nightmares that darken my thoughts, my vision.

I was getting out.

I had to.

Soon.

*******

March 8th, 2042.
5:09 pm, London, United Kingdom.
Advanced Business Engagements Academy (Private Business Institution), Sylvan Lakeshore.

The horror in the flicker of those alien irises has me stiffening the longer I stare at them, Iris gives Melanie a dark glare, yet she can't seem to see the fear that momentarily flickered in her eyes. She must have been severely surprised when she jumped in her bones as he helped her straighten, before she stepped away in an all-too-quick manoeuvre.

Her reflexes were almost too spot on, something Talon noticed too as he side glances me, a knowing look, "She's quick." He murmurs, hiding his words from the others. I nod slowly. She really was. I watch her slide her phone away as they speak, I barely make out her words, considering Forthright was facing from us and if I stared too long at Lemon's lips...it was dangerous, is all.

He suddenly chuckles, making Iris stand, only I do the same and give her a dark stare, "Not here." I tell her, darkly. She refrains from biting at me like a Chihuahua on a territorial hungry feed, I bite back with an Alpha stare, she yips and backs down.

I turn back to my main task at hand as I see Forthright leaning in, I was swift on my feet, silent as the night as I hear the very last of their conversation, "Don't go burning out though. I may have to step in sooner if you do." He says, still laughing, she smiles gently.

Fucking great.

You'd think she was immune to this Professor's plastic smile and weird laugh, but no, not this girl either.

"That won't be necessary." She says, playing hard to get. I decide to step in, not allowing her to manipulate him as she's done to me.

"Professor Forthright." I say to him, he stiffens next to me, but nods all the same in greeting.

"Edmund. How's your assignments going? Not falling behind, I hope?" Forthright says, shaking my hand hand with soft, knowing smile. I don't bother, not feeling in the mood to smile at the lanky geek who's obsessed with feelings. I remain stiff as she scrutinises the relationship between Forthright and myself. Trying to connect dots that aren't there.