Chapter Three - Fine

Professor Peters walked into class with an identical pencil skirt and blazer on. She must have owned a closet full as she walked in with a different shade every time I saw her. She placed her briefcase on her desk before turning to face the class.

"I hope you've all had a chance to look over the reading list we discussed last class. Among some of the lost influential romanticism writers were poets like John Keats, William Wordsworth, and Lord Byron. Read a few verses and tell me you don't believe in the emotional power of love," Professor Peters paused for a moment in what looked like a dreamy sigh.

I let out a smile, I wonder who she was thinking about. My mind drifted to Aaron for a brief moment and the last date that we had before we broke up. He had taken me out for sushi and laughed at me as I attempted make my meal worth the all you can eat option. I forced myself to focus. Aaron is no longer your boyfriend, Olivia.

"Many will look at Jane Austen's works as being characterized as romantic period writing, but this is still up for debate. Persuasion is one of her more classic romantic period works, with Mr. Wentworth's shifting attractions from rational to romantic notions. Ultimately, Austen's writing is still up for interpretation and is largely based on the reader's own feelings. Don't let your current heartbreak deter you," she winked at the class and let out a small laugh.

The rest of the class went by like a breeze. I loved her classes. I was packing my bag to make it for my next psychology class when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Stacey standing next to me. Her platinum blonde hair was practically down to her waist and she wore a tight sweater dress that seemed to make her legs go on for miles. Unlike Avery, Stacey put a lot of time into making sure she looked perfect no matter the event.

"Hey, Olivia!" Stacey greeted cheerfully. I knew that voice. Stacey was fishing for something.

"Oh, hi," I replied, on guard. The last time I had seen Stacey was when Aaron and I were still together. She and I had frequently hung out together as part of our old group.

"How have you been? It's been so long!" She smiled widely at me as though I had just come back from vacation. I've been great, Stacey. Just going through a breakup over here.

"I've been fine, and you?"

"I've been great! But we've all missed you. You should hang out with us more often. I know things when you and Aaron didn't exactly end great but it's no reason to stay away from your friends." Stacey stated peppily. I grimaced at the sheer amount of inaccuracies in what she had just said to me. This wasn't something I wanted to discuss, especially with Stacey. She clearly saw that I wasn't going to be talking. I waited patiently for the real reason she walked up to me, wishing that I could just tell her I needed to go, but knowing that I couldn't.

"Anyway," she began, "I was actually wondering if I could have your notes for the last two classes? I had to miss it because our group rented a cabin and we kind of got a bit wasted and lost track of time. Oh, you should have seen Aaron trying to fish though," she laughed.

I just stared at her. Our group. I guess I was no longer a part of that crew. Yet, how easily she could come up to me and laugh about my ex before asking me for a favor. No. You can't get my notes. "Sure." The words rolled out of my mouth before I could stop them. I hate myself.

"Oh my God, you're the absolute best! I love you, Olivia! I'll grab them next week? And seriously, you need to hang out with us soon. Don't let one dumb thing you guys are going through ruin it for all of us." She gabbed on before turning around and disappearing just as quickly as she had appeared in front of me.

I'm sorry it's ruining things for you, Stacey. I was seething at the casual mention of what between Aaron and I, as though cheating was not reason enough to break up. I walked into my psychology class and quickly skirted to the back of the room, avoiding Aaron's spot near the front. I remembered that spot well as we had been in this class together up until two weeks ago. I still remembered trying to take notes as he attempted to distract me without the professor seeing. He'd always ask for the notes right before the exams, true slacker that he was.