Chapter Sixteen - Dog ears

Avery parked in the parking lot of our college and I ran inside to be on time for my literature class. I was running a tad late but I loved the class too much to miss even a moment of it.

Professor Peters was thankfully just starting class. I sat down as she began speaking.

"Good morning, class. Today we're just going to review an additional end of term assignment. This will be worth 30% of your grade." The class erupted in groans. She held her hands up, "before you get too upset, hear the assignment out. This will be in direct correlation with the Romanticism movement in literature. You will merely need to find a personal connection to the movement itself. Find a moment in your lives where emotion overrides intuition. Where feeling compelled you more than reason. Where individuality was more of an influence than societal expectations."

The class began to murmur to each other.

"Doesn't sound so bad now then, does it?" She laughed.

It sounded terrifying to me. It was everything I'd spent my life avoiding and everything that had come back to bite me in the backside.

I packed up belongings once class was over and scurried to my psychology class. I felt knots in my stomach at the thought of seeing Alexander. It had been a few days since I'd last seen him. I tried not to overanalyze the feeling. I would miss Avery if I didn't see her for a few days as well. The knots in the pit of my stomach, however, were new.

I rushed into class and smiled at the sight of Alexander's concentrated frown as he crouched over a book at the desk he was sitting at. As I walked closer, I noticed he was reading War and Peace. He really had great taste in books. His room was a testament to that.

As soon as I sat down, he quickly dog-eared the page he was on and closed the book, smiling widely in my direction.

"Hi, Olivia," Alexander said my name in such a way that goosebumps appeared on my arms. That was also new.

"Hi," I murmured as I sat down, butterflies swarming my stomach.

"I missed you. How have you been?" He asked leaning in closer subconsciously as we engaged in conversation.

"I've been good. How was your meeting with that client?" I asked.

"Difficult. I've never met such an obnoxious person in my life. But we got the contract signed at least, which means we'll be constructing the building regardless of how much of a pretentious snob he is." He explained.

"That's something at least. Did you end up showing them your design?" Alexander had put so much work into the drawing of a hypothetical building for the project, but didn't want to show it because he was an intern. I convinced him to at least show the sketch. He was so talented. I knew he just needed some exposure.

"I did," he grinned at me.

"And?" I questioned excitedly.

"They want to use it for the project. The client actually vouched for it himself."

"Alexander! That's the best news I've heard. I told you it was amazing!"

"I wouldn't have done it without you. Thank you, Olivia." He stated sincerely.

"You know, I always thought I had a talent for spotting great pieces of art. Do you think I should consider a career change? I didn't know I had this much talent." I boasted teasingly.

He smiled at me. His eyes flickered to my lips for just a moment before they flickered back to my eyes. They were filled with conflict and words unsaid. The air suddenly felt thick and I forgot where we were sitting. He opened his mouth to say something before the professor interrupted.