Chapter Twenty Three - It Was Practically a Brawl

After the confrontation at the bar, none of us felt like staying, me least of all. We decided to head to that same beach Alexander had brought me to a couple weeks earlier. It looked exactly the same but it felt like I was seeing it with renewed vision.

I couldn't believe what I'd said to Heather. It was exactly what I'd said to her a million times over in my deepest, darkest moments. It was exactly what I'd always wished I was strong enough to say to her. I took so much pleasure in the look of pure astonishment on her face.

I was glad that Stacey knew about her boyfriend as well. Stacey was selfish to the core, but didn't deserve to be with a cheater. A cheater, who ironically, was Aaron's best friend. I wondered who would stay in that small group of four now. I guess that bar was now no longer an Olivia friendly establishment either.

I was currently sitting on the sand next to Avery. I looked to my side where Alexander and Nathan were attempting to build a bon fire.

"Did you see Heather's face?" Avery laughed. She'd been mentioning it since it happened over and over again. I think the shock of what I'd said hadn't worn off. "I don't think I've ever seen her look so shocked in my life. Even after that model who she basically stalked for a month turned her down."

I laughed along with her. Heather had serious issues with her dad. He was never home and never gave her encouragement of any kind. She'd be a classic case of 'daddy issues', making up for it with sleeping with other people's boyfriends to prove to herself she was wanted by men.

I remember going shopping together once and her spending thousands of dollars on completely useless crap, buying sizes that she didn't even fit into just so her dad would notice and call her about the bill. He didn't. It was sad really. But that didn't excuse her behaviour, especially to someone who used to be her friend.

"You have to rub the two sticks together," Nathan exclaimed.

"Bro, you want to get in here?" Alexander replied frustratedly.

Nathan ignored him, "You're not doing it right."

"I didn't realize there was more than one way to rub two goddamn sticks together." Alexander threw a stick at him.

"Great. Now we gotta find new sticks," Avery sighed.

"Blame your boyfriend," Alexander muttered standing up.

Avery chuckled, "Don't worry, I always do."

"Babe!" Nathan complained.

"We need Bryan," Alexander confirmed pulling his phone out from his back pocket, "He knows this shit backwards and forwards." He texted quickly before sliding the phone into his pocket.

Avery walked towards Nathan and snuggled next to him before Alexander walked over to me and sat down so our arms were just barely brushing against each other. My cheeks flushed from the contact.

"You doing okay?" He asked quietly.

I nodded at him, "I feel great, actually."

"You know that was pretty amazing right?" He asked me.

I turned to smile at him, "It was wasn't it? It felt amazing."

He sighed dramatically looking away from me and I gazed over at him, "What is it?" I asked laughing.

"Well, what are you going to need me for if you're going around yelling at people in public bars?"

I nudged his side with my elbow, "I did no such thing."

"It was practically a brawl," he stated teasingly.

I reached for his hand and interlaced my fingers with his. I don't think Alexander would ever understand what he had done for me in the short span of time I'd known him. Words couldn't express how grateful I was for his help.