Chapter Thirty - Concession Call

I awoke to the phone ringing next to me. I looked at the wall nearest to me expecting to see quotes of encouragement but instead saw a blank, off-white wall. It took me a second to remember I was in my new apartment and not at Avery's house anymore.

The constant ringing woke me from my dream like state and I picked the phone up with a groggy, "Hello?"

"Hello, Olivia," came the formal greeting from my mother

"Hello, mother," I answered in confusion, sitting up in bed. "How are you?" I added after a moment's hesitation.

"I am doing very well, thank you. And you?" She asked.

She sounded like she was in good spirits so she must have signed a lucrative business deal. There weren't very many reasons behind her good moods, sadly.

"I'm doing okay," I replied uncertainly.

"I'm glad you are. Whatever happens between us and our differences, I'm still your mother and I always want what's best for you."

"Thanks, mom. I really appreciate that." I really was touched that she would call so out of the blue to make sure I was doing okay. Our differences aside, we would always care for each other.

She cleared her throat, "I'm calling because of our yearly soirée."

Of course. Our yearly soirée. Every prominent family in my mother's neighbourhood was almost honour bound to throw a yearly soirée where their wealth could be flaunted. People wore ridiculously extravagant clothes and ate snotty food while having pretentious conversations. It was the absolute worst.

"Right," I responded.

"It would mean a lot to me if you were there, Olivia." My mother stated quietly.

"I'm not sure, mother. I don't know if I can do that anymore." I appreciated my mother reaching out but the last thing I wanted to do was see Aaron or his parents. Even the idea of seeing Stacey's ex, Mark who was also a part of that community made me nauseous.

"I know it's not your path. I understand that. I just want to show a united front," she compromised. I had never in my life heard my mother even acknowledge the fact that I could go down a different path that she did. I was hopeful for the first time that maybe this meant  we could have somewhat of a relationship. Maybe we could work on things.

"I guess I can try to come," I conceded. If she has swallowed her pride enough to make the phone call - something I know she has to have struggled with - I could attend one event.

"That would be so amazing!" She replied happily. "Don't forget, it's Friday night and it's formal attire."

"I remember." How could I forget? This would be my 21st attendance. All equally as elitist as the ones before it. At least my mom's was less pompous than Aaron's family's. They hired valets and put on ballroom dancing performances. It was beyond cringey.

"I look forward to seeing you," my mother said softly.

"You as well," I replied formally.

I hung up the phone and hung my head. I was hoping this would be a reciprocal gesture in that if I gave my mom a bit of rope and maybe she could be more understanding of my choices. I still loved her and I valued having a relationship with her.

I walked out of my room in my bunny slippers and cozy pajamas to see Avery already seated at the island, mug of coffee in hand and a laptop in front of her.

"Morning," I yawned as I walked through the kitchen grabbing a cup of coffee and filling it up to the brim. I bent my head down to the counter to the nearly overflowing cup and sipped at it before being able to bring it to my face.

"Charming," Avery responded looking at me playfully.

I grinned at her taking an obnoxiously loud sip, "I know."

"What are you working on?" I asked as I sat next to her at the island stool, swinging my legs.

"Engineering applications. Have you heard back yet?" She asked shutting her laptop to look at me.

I shook my head, "Not yet."

"I'm sure they'll come soon," She comforted.

They were definitely meant to arrive soon. That wasn't my worry. My worry was not being accepted into the program I wanted. It was important for future jobs to get into a prestigious program.  I really only had my eye on one. It was nerve-wracking to say the least. I admired Avery's confidence for the umpteenth time. She knew where she wanted to go and knew she'd get in. She was self-assured and knew that she could do what she set her mind on. I blamed it on her amazing upbringing. But sometimes, I just felt so meek in comparison.

"My mom called me this morning," I stated taking another sip from my cup.

Avery's eyes nearly bugged out of her head, "What did she want?"

"To tell me about the yearly soirée coming up."

Avery rolled her eyes, "Of course. Why else would a person call their daughter?"

"I don't know, she seemed sincere to me." I had never known my mother to make a call of concession, ever. Never in business and never in her personal life. It was her way or not at all.

Avery gave me a dry look, "I hope for your sake she was, but I have my doubts."

"I get it," I replied just as my phone buzzed. I checked the caller ID to see Dr. Alexander flashing on the screen. My heart jumped into my throat and a smile creeped its way onto my face.

"Is that Alexander?" Avery grinned slyly at me.

"Yeah, I'll be right back." I jumped up off the stool and began to walk to my room.

"Sure you will. After an hour of 'you're prettier, no you're prettier.'" She teased fluttering her eyelashes excessively.

I waved my hand in her direction to tell her to keep it down before shutting the door to my room and answering the phone.

"Hi," I breathed.

"Hi, baby," came the soft toned reply. I could just hear his smile in his voice and it was so contagious that it transferred to my face automatically.

"What are you doing?" I asked grinning giddily like a teenager.

"I just got to work, but I figured I'd try and catch you before my day started. What are you up to?" I could hear him push open a door and walk into a quieter area.

"I have a bunch of end of term assignments to work on."

"Don't remind me," he groaned.

"My mom called me about a yearly event they have with pompous food and pompous people though. I told her I'd go."

"Do you want to go?" He asked in concern.

"I want to keep a relationship with my mom," I admitted.

"I get it, but it has to be two sided for it to be considered a relationship. Don't let your goodness get in the way of doing what's best for you." He said softly.

I sighed, "Hey, what's rule number five out of curiosity?"

He laughed loudly and I could hear a paper rustling, "Rule number five: choose to forgive people regardless of whether they seek to make amends."

"I see, so the article's on my side this time." I teased.

"You're just lucky." He replied.