chapter: thirty-four

break

The Saturday of the third week back at Hogwarts was the first warm day since we had arrived. The sun shone through my window, bringing my dorm back to life. The birds were in a happy mood. They started chirping again, waking me up early in the morning.

The change of weather did not cause a change in my mood like it apparently did to everyone else. I was still sad, stressed, angry. I felt every negative emotion overpower my body, but I felt not a single positive one.

It had been two weeks since Draco last spoke to me, and it had been a week since I had last seen him. He hadn't attended any of the classes we shared.

At first, Professor Lupin had been bewildered about his absence, but he stopped asking Draco's housemates after Lupin started the third lesson without him. The other students from Slytherin had had no clue about why he wouldn't attend. Not even Blaise.

Snape, though, didn't seem to care at all about Draco's non-attendance. No surprised expression when he found one of the seats, that were supposed to be taken, empty. No questions to his housemates about his being. It appeared as if Snape didn't even take note of his absence.

I had wondered if he did it because of me. Had his urge to avoid me been strong enough for him to not visit the classes we shared? It hadn't been only the classes that he had skipped. He skipped the meals as well; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. To that, I had also asked myself if he did it because of me. Maybe he waits around a corner until you leave the hall, I had said to myself.

And with that theory dwelling in the back of my head, I ate my meals at an unusual rate and left the hall right after, hoping that he would get to eat something.

It had not only been two weeks since we spoke but it had been two weeks since I last felt his skin against mine. His touch on my body.

It felt like I was in withdrawal.

Because Draco was my drug.

And I was an addict.

Draco Malfoy had always been a joint rather than a cigarette. You used a cigarette and tossed it away afterwards. The scent and taste of cigarettes are disgusting, and you'd rather not smoke again. But a joint. A joint is addicting in a way that a cigarette could never be. The scent and the taste are intoxicating, and the feeling a joint can give you is from a whole different world.

If you smoked a joint once, you'll never want to smoke a cigarette again.

If you had Draco Malfoy once, you'll never want someone else again.

So, it had happened to be two weeks since he had last whispered sweet nothings in my ear, and his warm breath had tickled the hairs on my neck. Two weeks since he had last put his hand on my cheek and caressed it with his thumb. It had been so long since his exhilarating scent had teased my nostrils. Even though it had been so long, I sometimes thought I could smell him.

When I closed my eyes, I saw him. I felt him. And if that was supposed to be the only way for me to feel his closeness, I wished to never open my eyes again.

I did the same thing that morning; I laid in my bed, with one of his shirts on, that he had left behind for me as he had left my mansion, I closed my eyes and thought of him;

He stood in front of me and brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear before he cupped my face with both of his hands on each of my cheeks. "For a lifetime and for whatever comes next," he said, "Remember that. No matter what."

Draco bent forward and captured my lips. Soft and passionate kisses. Those kisses turned into rough and sloppy ones. As I looked down at the both of us, I found us naked, and him pounding into me.