chapter: thirty-six

give up

I roamed the corridors of the seventh floor every evening since that night almost a week ago.

But I had never found what I was looking for.

The wind that whistled through the halls and the chill it brought with it constantly reminded me of what time of the year it was and that I would turn 19 in less than 8 hours.

Of course, I haven't heard anything from Hermione and the boys, which made me kind of anxious about my birthday.

I wouldn't have them by my side like the last six years and on top of that, I wouldn't have Draco by my side as I wished more than anything that I would.

Spinning my wand in my hand — like Fred and George taught me one summer —, I rounded corner after corner of the seventh floor. Since I had no clue where Draco even went that night, I just arbitrarily walked the halls to and fro.

A thud combined with a shocked gasp wound its way through the empty halls as I rounded a corner I already took two times and met a firm chest. My wand falling out of my hand and onto the floor.

A pair of large hands wrapped around each of my upper arms to steady me. The meeting with a muscular body was unexpected and caught me off guard so I almost lost balance.

I didn't even have to look up to find out whom I ran into. The current of heat and the tingle, which overran my entire body when his touch reached me, revealed him.

Draco.

His eyes were widened and awake as I looked up at him. The quick movements of his chest implied that he wasn't expecting anyone in that part of the castle. During that time of the evening, anyway.

Placing my hand on my heart, I almost giggled as Draco stood still, quickly removing his hands from my body as though he burnt himself.

"What are you doing here?" Draco asked uptightly.

Opening my palm next to my side, I mumbled, "Accio." and my wand flew right back into my palm, all without tearing my eyes away from him for a single second. Yet, it seemed as though, to him, everything in that corridor was more pleasing to look at than my face.

My eyes, more specifically.

"I asked you a question," he uttered after taking a nervous glance behind me.

"I was looking for you, actually. I want to —"

"Stop it," he hissed, making me pause mid-sentence. His cheekbones were prominent and I wasn't sure if it was because he was tensing his jaw or because his cheeks sagged because he didn't eat.

"What?" I mumbled confusedly.

"Stop looking for me."

What?

"If I wanted you to find me, I would've come for you myself, don't you think?" His voice sounded almost angry. But there was something else in his tone that I couldn't quite figure out.

Is he seriously angry at me for caring for him? What the hell does he expect me to do?

All my thoughts were overwhelming at this point. I wasn't able to sort them properly, let alone forming a proper sentence.

I opened my mouth, my thoughts trying to escape, but nothing came out.

Draco's eyes studied my face until they fell to my neck. They remained there a little too long so I followed his gaze and realized that he was staring at the ring — his ring.