T D E | FOUR

Every time I try to get a break
It's unlucky, find myself, center stage
When I think I'm on the right track
I take one step forward and two steps back

Every time I try to get a breakIt's unlucky, find myself, center stageWhen I think I'm on the right trackI take one step forward and two steps back

My heart was racing, my lungs felt like it was malfunctioning and all limbs were screaming at me to stop running. Do I listen? No. Instead, I ignored the burning and kept running. The gushing wind jabbed my ears, cutting off any other sound. Even though I was ahead of the rest of the group, I pretended that someone was chasing me, threatening to beat me. That was the only way for me to fade my limits and run faster.

My feet only slowed when the massive trees and dirt below my shoes transformed into paved pitch and buildings. When they rooted to the ground, I wanted to collapse onto the comforts of my bed.

But I never get what I want so there's that.

I shut my mouth and tried to breathe through my nose slowly so no one could notice I was completely out of breath. My body was going crazy today. I've never felt so human before. Yeah, it's a humanly thing but I cannot let it show that my arms felt like it was about to snap off or my stomach felt like it was on fire. I could hear my rapid heartbeat in my ears, my eyes stung from lack of sleep. But any proof of being human was shoved away and I focused on being who I needed to be.

Dubose came running afterward with a smile when he sees me. I admired how alive he looked without even trying. I haven't had an ounce of sleep in so long. My overthinking drained all abilities to shut my eyes for more than two minutes. Yet my eyes were burning and my body felt like it would collapse into rubble if I don't get rest soon.

I'm happy that he greets me and completely ignored the circles around my eyes. "You do know that the run was warm up right?" Dubose recalls. "Yeah, you ready?" I changed the topic. I didn't need anyone questioning why I was pushing myself so hard today.

Dubose and I are two people at the top of my father's list. He's the only one that gives me actual competition hence the reason why he's my partner for everything. Sad thing is, father wants his Beta's son to be my beta when I take control. Dubose has all the best qualities for an alpha. The least I want to do is have him as my beta if I'm forced to be the alpha. Whatever, it's a work in progress.

"No holding back?" He grins.

"No holding back," I returned like every time.

My throat was still itchy from the two days I've been sick to the point I couldn't speak without coughing or feeling the need to throw up. My nose was clogged, voice hoarse, skin pale. This had to happen when I was about to start training again. At the age of eight father pushed me to start training with his men that were double or triple my age.