Flangst, Grian & Scar - I Don't Want You to Die (3rd Life SMP)

From the moment Grian became Scar's guardian, he knew it wouldn't be an easy task. Protecting anyone on a server where the players were supposed to kill each other eventually wouldn't be easy. He expected he'd have to deal with some traps or a player now and then. He even expected he'd be building something dangerous to keep people out of the desert, such as the cactus wall with some lava here and there.

What Grian hadn't expected was that he'd also have Scar's incredible ability to create and attract trouble to deal with.

It really was unbelievable, the things Scar could get into. A plunge into a ravine made him the first red life. Then there was the whole "friend pass" thing, which created a rivalry with Ren when he wouldn't buy a pass or allow Scar to use his enchanter. One technically failed but also still somehow very successful trap later, Ren was furious with Scar--to the point of purposely losing his second life so he could come after Scar. The now-red life king had very recently attacked them, and Scar's pet llama, Pizza, had been killed in the process.

This was what Scar was currently fuming over.

"Oh, he'll pay for this! We should set another TNT minecart at his door!" Scar declared.

"Scar, I don't know if we should mess with-" Grian began, only to be cut off by Scar.

"HE KILLED PIZZA!"

Grian flinched. He wasn't going to lie, he normally didn't find Scar very intimidating. Even with gray skin and red eyes, he had a pet bee that floated around him like a balloon for crying out loud. He was also way too friendly. If Grian had run of the place, he would've killed half the server or died trying a long time ago.

Right now, though? With his red eyes alight with anger and his hand clenched around his netherite sword, Scar looked like the murderer he was supposed to be. And it was honestly terrifying.

"Scar, I understand why you're angry," Grian said slowly, nervous of making Scar even angrier, "but I really don't think going after Ren again is a good idea. Making him mad was the reason we lost Pizza in the first place. Besides...I've heard rumors Impulse has become his weapons supplier, and you know how crazy his enchantments are."

"We can beat him! We've got allies in his walls!" Scar argued.

"Like who?" Grian asked exasperatedly. "Skizz? Etho? They both left us a long time ago."

Scar opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it again, looking disconcerted for a moment. Grian sighed.

"Maybe we just leave Ren alone for now. He got his revenge, I think, so he shouldn't bother us again if we don't ask for it," he reasoned.

Scar was silent for a few seconds, looking thoughtful. But then he shook his head, his eyes hardening.

"No, Grian. Ren will pay. He's on his last life; one sword swipe in the right place is all it'll take."

"But you're no different!" Grian protested. "They hit you right, you're dead! You're on your last life too!"

"I'm willing to lose it. I must avenge Pizza," Scar said firmly.

Grian stared at Scar. He didn't understand why Scar was so attached to Pizza. It was a llama. Hardly something to risk your last life for, in Grian's opinion. But meeting Scar's intense gaze, he didn't think questioning that part was something he wanted to do.

"Alright," Grian sighed, "say we did attack Ren. It's two against...what? Four or five?"

"No, no, it'll be four against four or five," Scar said. "We can get Jimmy and Scott to help us."

It would still be a losing battle. Grian knew that, but he was scared to say it out loud. A part of him wondered why he didn't just intentionally follow Scar's early footsteps and jump off a cliff. Sure, he'd be yellow life, but he'd be free from Scar. He could run away and set up his own base. He could get away from this chaos, the certain death Scar would be facing if he went through with this.

"Grian?"

But something stopped him. Grian had grown to like Scar, despite the chaos he brought with him. The childishness, the odd sense of friendliness, even the trouble.

He didn't want Scar to die.

"Do we...have to fight Ren?" Grian asked quietly.

"Why are you suddenly protecting him?" Scar demanded.

"I'm not!" Grian said quickly. "I'm...I..." Scar tilted his head, and Grian took a breath. "I don't want you to die," he blurted out.

Scar looked a bit taken aback. "You...don't?" His voice was quieter, his anger fading. "I figured you would. You know...since my death would set you free, without having to lose a life of your own."

"I...thought about that," Grian admitted. He smiled a little. "But...you've kind of grown on me, Scar."

Scar smiled back. "Well, I guess that's a good thing!" The cheer was returning to his voice, to Grian's relief. It was weird. A few weeks ago, he'd been trying to get Scar to act threatening. Now, he preferred the cheerful, childish version.

"We're still attacking Ren, at some point," Scar added. "But not now. I don't want you to die either, and there's probably some netherite we can get to protect ourselves better."

"So, more explosions then?" Grian grinned.

"You bet," Scar snickered.

"I'll go make some TNT," Grian said, turning and running over to the gunpowder farm.

Scar wasn't giving up on attacking Ren, and even with netherite armor, there would likely be some deaths.

But if it meant keeping Scar alive, Grian would gladly be one of those deaths.

Shout out to Star_Kissed__ on Twitter for giving me the idea for this! I hope you like it! :D