Fluff, Ethubs - Longing for Engagement

Hey, hey! I'm back today with another Ethubs request from WelshKitsune !

This one's set in Hermitcraft, after Last Life. Bdubs and Etho already acted like an old married couple, so... why not have them actually propose, eh? ;)

No warnings! Just pure fluff here :D

***

The stars twinkled in the sky above Hermitcraft. A cool, salty breeze swirled around Big Eye Bay, rustling the leaves of the trees around the area. Crickets chirped, and in the distance, splashes of fish and the occasional dolphin could be heard. Aside from the natural ambience, it was quiet and calm, overall an environment one should easily be able to drift off in.

So why, for the love of time, couldn't he sleep?

Bdubs sighed and shifted, trying to get comfortable. Most of the other Hermits would surely be asleep by now, besides those like Impulse and Doc, who Bdubs often debated if they knew the meaning of the word sleep. But Bdubs? He was always the first in bed, exhausted by the time night fell and often was out as soon as his head hit his pillow.

Tonight, though, he was wide awake. Tiredness seemed to linger over him like a cloud, but something was keeping him up. Sure, he hadn't been sleeping as well since he returned from Last Life, but that was several weeks ago now. Perhaps he was still more alert, easily catching Tango or Keralis when they tried to sneak up on him, but he didn't flinch when he heard the bushes rustle or pull out his sword every time someone came near anymore. His nightmares had become less frequent, so he didn't think it was them either.

A chill suddenly ran through him and he shivered, pulling his blankets closer. A pang ran through his mind, a memory of Etho's arms around him as they shared their only bed in Last Life, and he realized he dearly missed the ninja. Bdubs had loved Etho for many years now. Despite the stakes, it was Last Life that pushed them to finally become boyfriends. When they returned to Hermitcraft, Etho had to go back to living with Iskall halfway across the island. Though they talked often through comms, Bdubs hadn't seen Etho in a while.

That's what was wrong, he realized. He wanted Etho here with him, wanted to fall asleep in his arms again, talk to him and see his face multiple times throughout the day. He wished he could be more than just Etho's boyfriend; be his everlasting love, his one and only, have Etho's last name be the same as his own.

Bdubs wanted to propose to and marry Etho.

The problem?

He had no idea how.

Before Bdubs could think much more about his situation, he heard a thump of someone landing outside and the whisper of a familiar voice: "Bubbles? Are you still awake?"

"Keralis?" Bdubs asked, slipping out of bed and quickly putting on his slippers before heading to the door to meet his friend. "What are you doing here?"

"I was coming to check on you, since I know you haven't been sleeping like you should be lately," Keralis replied, stepping inside Bdubs's base.

"Oh, that's sweet of you. I, uh, haven't been able to fall asleep yet, but I'm okay," Bdubs assured him.

"You sure nothing's wrong?" Keralis asked. "I'd be glad to help you."

Bdubs hesitated, then sighed. It probably wouldn't hurt to tell Keralis, right?

"There is something..."

"Yes?" Keralis prompted.

"I... um..." With a deep breath, Bdubs blurted out quietly, "I want to propose to Etho! But I'm not really sure how to go about it."