1 | "Fuck Me"

Chapter One
"Fuck Me"

"he who is brave, is free."
— lucius annaeus seneca

┏━━━━━━━┓

   This guy is either homeless or a damn stalker.

   I stayed behind the desk, which was on the left side of the door, vertical from the windows circling the front of the florist shop. Still, my eyes were narrowed on him.

   I knew he couldn't be homeless, though. I was pretty sure homeless people didn't own a three-piece suit.

   With that thought, I pulled my eyes away from the guy standing across the street, body facing the shop I worked almost every day in.

   He'd been outside, in the same spot, for an hour now. Just standing there. He didn't even reach for his phone or make conversation with anyone who passed by him.

   But... this was New York. No one really talked to anyone they didn't know, unless they were gonna cuss them out or throw something at them.

   Since my vision wasn't the greatest in far distances, I couldn't really make out his facial features or if he was even staring in my direction. But from what I could tell, his shoulders were broad, and he had slicked back, brown hair. He could have a gigantic nose, like the guy from Tangled, and I wouldn't be able to tell.

   The thought made me smile to myself, but I quickly shook it off. I loved that dork and his love for love.

   Same, dude. Same.

   My shoulders instantly straightened when I heard my phone ringing from the shelve underneath the oak wood desk in front of me. The screen was face-up, and I saw Sydelle's name.

   I smiled and reached for the phone before answering the call. "Hey bitch."

   "Hey mega-slut," my cousin, Sydelle, chirped into my ear. "In for a shopping spree later today? I feel like feeling myself up."

   I rolled my eyes and leaned against the counter behind me. I forced myself not to glance at the guy across the street and instead on the cooler where are the flowers were, right across from me.

   "Can't. Cynthia has me working until five." I checked the clock hanging above the window, on my left. It was only three now. "Maybe tomorrow? I have Saturday off."

   She groaned in annoyance. "Mom and Cynthia are friends. I'm sure she'll let you get off early." She paused before adding pleadingly, "Please? I need a dress for my date tonight!"

   "Go by yourself," I laughed, tucking my dyed, light brown hair behind my ear. Instinctively, I glanced at the man again. He was still there. "Remember to be safe," I sang.

   "Go fuck yourself."

   I grinned. Cousin love. "Love you too, Syd."

   With another sigh, I heard her shuffling. "Have you heard from mom yet?"

   "Last time I talked to Luba was a month ago." I lowered my gaze to my feet and bit my lip before whispering, "You know it's not..."

   "Safe. I know," she mumbled, but I could hear sympathy in her tone. "You should see her soon, though. She told me to tell you she misses you. And that she made blinchiki and thought of you."

   Blinchiki. That woman wanted to hurt me. "She misses pinching my cheeks," I retorted and unintentionally reached out to rub my left cheek.

   Despite not being in front of me, I knew Sydelle was smirking. "My face has adapted. Sucks to suck, though."