2 | "I'm Pretty Sure That's Illegal"

Chapter Two
"I'm Pretty Sure That's Illegal"

"the fears we don't face
become our limits."
— robin sharma

┏━━━━━━━┓

   I felt the familiar burning sensation in my arms as I ran my seventh lap across the community pool, but it wasn't enough to exhaust me.

   When I realized as a kid that swimming helped me take the edge off, I used to spend hours in the pool. I'd also learned to hold my breath under the water for over two minutes, which I loved doing to scare my siblings.

   The thought made me smile to myself as I went up for air, only to come back down and kick my legs harder. I noticed I was getting closer to the wall and spun, pushing myself forward when my feet landed on the surface.

   I finished up another two laps before deciding to swim to the bottom. I kept my eyes closed and crossed my legs, forcing my body not to rise to the top.

   Silence. Peace. Freedom.

   I wasn't sure how long I held my breath, but in the haziness of my thoughts, I found myself thinking about them.

   The accident. Hearing people screaming and wailing in pain all around me while I just cried, trying to shake them awake.

   "Please! Don't leave me! Don't leave—"

   I gasped, which was a rookie mistake because suddenly, I had a mouthful of water inside me. My body moved on its own after that as my feet flattened on the ground before shooting myself up.

   The second air reached my lungs, I coughed out water and rubbed my eyes to clear my vision before assessing my surroundings. The white walls, two doors leading to the change rooms across from me. The floor to ceiling windows on my right, which allowed me to see into the hallway leading to the gym.

   I began chuckling, but me trying to manipulate my mind failed, because I was still shaking from my memory.

   I coughed a few more times before forcing my legs to swim to the edge of the pool, closest to the change room doors, where the metal ladder was pressed against. I got my grip on the railing and went up the three steps before striding to the bench across from me, in my one-piece, black bathing suit.

   I rubbed my face with the white towel and exhaled before wrapping it around my body.

   The second I heard a soft clashing noise coming from one of the changing rooms, I instantly stiffened and reached into my beige tote bag, which was still laying on the bench.

   Not taking my eyes off the doors, my hand moved around until my fingers curled against the familiar metal object. I remained alert of my surroundings as I pulled out my matte black, switchblade.

   I straightened my back and separated my legs into a stance, taking protective measures for another minute. It wasn't until my phone rang inside my bag, did I finally relax.

   Locking the blade again, I slid it back inside and grabbed my phone, only to check the caller ID and smile. "Hey," I answered once the phone was against my ear.

   "Hey, Lee," I heard Rolie drawl into my ear. His name was technically Rolando, but no one called him that, except his dad probably.

   I grabbed my bag and began walking to the women's changing room. "How's life?" When we talked, we usually spoke in codes.

   There was a pause. "Safe. But you know, arguments never stop."

   "Sounds about right." I felt an ache in my chest as I pushed the door open, making my way straight to the showers on my right. "How's the fam?"