19 | "I Think I'm Falling"

Chapter Nineteen
   "I Think I'm Falling"

"beware; for I am fearless
and therefore powerful,"
~ mary shelley

┏━━━━━━━┓

The first thing I wanted to do when I woke up was stretch my neck.

The spot where my shoulder and neck met was sore for reasons I didn't know, but just as I tried to crane my neck to the right side, I froze from the feeling of something hard behind me.

I tried to keep my breathing steady as I slowly opened my eyes, only to notice that my body was facing the tinted windows as I laid on my side. My blanket was low on my hips, but its absence on my upper body didn't explain why my skin was warming.

A few seconds later, memories of last night resurfaced, just as I felt a body moving behind me. It was only then did I pay attention to the weight laying on the curve of my waist, as well as the soft breathing close to the back of my neck.

Glancing down, I sucked a breath when I saw a familiar tattooed arm—which was slung over my body. And underneath the covers, I could feel that my feet were tangled with Daemon's.

A gasp left me as he shifted behind me, so his hardening length flattened on my lower back.

When he started to shuffle in his spot, I closed my eyes reflexively.

For a moment, there was silence—until Daemon lowered his head to the side of my neck, making me suck a breath.

He laughed softly against me before murmuring, "Morning."

"Morning," I breathed out, only to feel his arm flex around me. That action brought me closer to his chest—and since he was laying in nothing but his boxers, I could feel every ripple of muscle pressing against me.

I closed my eyes and parted my lips, feeling his fingers start to rise on my stomach, until they were resting under my breasts. "Sleep good?" He asked, his voice still deep from sleep.

I hummed but said nothing as I twisted in my spot, so I could face him—or more specifically, his chest.

My chin rose, meeting Daemon's steel grey eyes, just as he returned his arm on my hip. "How about you?" I tilted my head, so it moved deeper into my pillow.

His eyes danced around my face quietly before returning to mine. His lip quirked then, before his hand moved up into my hair. "I slept good."

I brought my hand between our bodies and tapped the mattress, ignoring the tingles coming from him playing with my hair. "My mattress works wonders," I teased.

His hand froze close to the back of my neck as his eyes darkened. "I don't think it was the mattress, Rose," he said solemnly before his hand slid to my chin.

"My pillows?" I continued on my charade while his thumb pulled on my lower lip, causing my mouth to part. "They're the perfect combination of stiff and soft. I hate when my head sinks, but when it's too hard, my neck hu—"

Before I could continue my rant about pillows, Daemon lowered his head and secured my lips with his.

My eyes instantly closed, and just as I started to moan against him, his hand slid underneath my grey shirt I was wearing, cupping my breast.