13 | "Tone The Testosterone Down"

Chapter Thirteen
   "Tone The Testosterone Down"

"storms make trees take deeper roots,"
~ Dolly Parton

┏━━━━━━━┓

   "Missed again," I sang teasingly.

   I was barefoot on the black mats, so I felt my toes rubbing against the squeaky material as I straightened my back. Across from me was Vladik, who was too busy throwing me a dirty glare.

   "I slipped," he defended, but I just laughed before bringing my arms up, readying my stance. He did the same, but I couldn't help but notice his little pout.

   I laughed. "Come on, Vladdie. Don't be sad."

   "I'm not sad." By his tone, he clearly was. "It's just annoying how you make fun of me each time I miss a hit."

   "I'm your little sister. You should have gotten used to it by now."

   He grumbled under his breath, but just as he was inching closer to me, my eyes perched at the sound of someone entering the training room.

   Briefly, I glanced to the side and saw Micah entering the room, expression stone cold as usual. His blond hair was ruffled as always, but he surprised me by wearing sweatpants and a tee-shirt. Did that mean...

   I caught movement in the corner of my eye, and my body moved on its own. Before I realized what I was doing, I caught Vladik's outstretched hand and twisted it over my shoulder before throwing the rest of his weight.

   His body fell with a heavy thud, and I grinned when I saw his face scrunching with pain. "You deserve that," I said, crossing my arms stubbornly. But the smile was still on my lips. "Trying to hit a girl while she's not looking? Tsk tsk, Vladdie."

   "You're not a girl. You're a pain in my ass," he groaned, but still made no effort to get up.

   My lip quirked into a smirk. "Literally and figuratively." I bent down and patted his stomach, a little harder than intended.

   He grunted before I stood up again, flashing an innocent smile. "You're doing great sweetie. Just work on your element of surprise, and you should be good."

   "Enough," Micah's harsh voice boomed throughout the room. My body responded naturally as I tensed up, but since I refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing me affected, I loosened my features before twisting around, giving him my famous doe eyes.

   "Yes, Mickie?"

   His jaw popped from hearing his nickname, but surprisingly, made no comment as he started striding toward me, his face hard and sober.

   "You are not taking this seriously," he deadpanned coldly once he was only a few feet away.

   I raised my brows. "Vladik's on the ground, isn't he?"

   His teeth grinded more. "Vladik does not know how to properly handle himself."

   "Hey!"

   We both ignored him. 

   Micah was not looking away from me, so I saw my same eyes reflected back at me. It was eerie, how similar they were.

   But my oldest brother wasn't wrong, Vladik was sloppy. He was always in a rush to get the last hit, and that he never fully covers himself from attacks. It was one of his flaws—that, and his weak knee.

   "Does that matter? I won the trials, Micah," I reminded him dryly. "I know I'm good. And I've learned to protect myself for three years without you or papa's guards."