9 | "I Wish You Didn't Need Thorns"

Chapter Nine
   "I Wish You Didn't Need Thorns"

"woman must not depend upon the protection
of man, but must be taught to protect herself,"
~ susan b. anthony

┏━━━━━━━┓

   Daemon hid what happened.

   The moment we snuck back into the mall, the guards were nowhere to be found. Until ten minutes later, holding Gala's arm. And by the time they returned, Daemon explained that I'd been in the bathroom during the commotion.

   But because there was now a "security threat"—which consisted of fifteen year old girls running around the mall looking for a celebrity—we had to leave without a dress.

   I would have cared, if it wasn't for that fact that I was beyond annoyed at my failure. Daemon didn't acknowledge what happened after we came back to the estate, so I pretended stupidity too.

   I ended up spending my entire Saturday with Gala, trying to get myself into the habit of reading. But after waking up Sunday, I told her that I'd be killing some time in the pool. She didn't want to join because according to her, "her hair routine takes hours" and it wouldn't be worth it.

   I was thirty minutes into my laps, however, when I vaguely heard the large doors opening into the room.

   Rather than looking up right away, I finished my lap. By the time I reached the ledge of the pool that faced the entrance, I crossed my arms on the floor and began wiping my eyes to get rid of the residue water.

   Once my vision cleared, I peered up and nearly rocked my head back in surprise. "Rolie?"

   The blond cocked his head and gave me a sad smile as he stepped closer to the pool. "Hey, Lee," he greeted while I checked out my surroundings. Where was Daemon?

   "I asked... Daemon to stay outside," Rolie grimaced before shaking his head. "You're still gonna have to tell me what happened with him."

   A small laugh came from me. "I'd need a day's worth of attention from you, but since you're busy all the time—"

   "Lee," he sighed, and I took this time to push myself out of the pool. He watched as I lifted myself out before standing tall in front of him, dripping wet in my one-piece. "It's not like I don't want to be around you."

   His gaze darkened before giving the security camera in the corner a quick glance. "There's just things I need to say. Without worrying about an audience," he muttered as he lowered his head.

   "I get it," I smiled sadly. "Can't blame a girl for missing you, though."

   His expression cracked in remorse, and before I could step away, he crossed the distance between us and pulled me into a hug. "Rolie." Laughs bubbled out from me as I squirmed in his grip. "I'm wet."

   He chuckled into my wet hair. "So many jokes I can say right now."

   I playfully punched his shoulder before resting my head on his chest. "Shut up," I muttered, but it was weak.

   Neither of us spoke for the next following seconds, and I took this moment to enjoy the silence as I wrapped my arms around him. "I missed you, durak."