14 | "Don't Lie To Me"

Chapter Fourteen
   "Don't Lie To Me"

"she remembered who she
was and the family changed,"
~ lalah deliah

┏━━━━━━━┓

   Over the course of the week, I tried to get myself the courage to do what needed to be done: Leave.

   I'd spent my days with my brothers, even Micah, who seemed to put a closer eye on me than before. Nonetheless, his presence was great. It was easier to annoy him when he's close by.

   It was a few days before February came when papa announced at breakfast that the Dynasties are coming today. He explained that since "Mr. Kade" will be present at the meeting, he has assigned another guard at my door, and for me to stay inside.

   I nodded but laughed on the inside.

   Now, I was staring at myself in the bathroom mirror, bundled in thick clothes and warm boots. When my eyes lifted to the top of my head, I cringed. My blonde roots were showing. I made note to get those fixed once I'm out.

   Giving myself some mumbled encouraging words, I swallowed before stuffing my sweatpants pocket with the cloth and vial I'd be using soon. All I needed to do was get outside, but that simple task clearly wasn't simple in this household.

   With that thought, I straightened my back and kept my head upright before opening the door, trying to look the least suspicious to whoever was examining the security footage.

   Normally, papa's meeting lasted an hour, maybe more, so I had plenty of time. Still, I glanced at the clock again. Almost noon. I had a little more than fifteen minutes to leave the house.

   I could do this. I could do this. I'm Rosalina fucking Somov. I've already done this before.

   Memories from other three years ago whipped through me, and I remembered my eighteen year old self shaking when papa suggested I get the Dynasties mark. It was in the fall, a month after my birthday.

   Rolie was there, and I'd cried to him, telling him I didn't want my skin to belong to the Dynasty too. It was inside my bedroom when he whispered to me, almost mutely, that he would get me out.

   And he did.

   But not before papa hired someone to begin the tattoo process. What surprised me though was what papa wanted. Rather than the Dynasties symbol, which consisted of a morphed fireball, He'd asked for me to have a flower on my right shoulder blade, covered in flames.

   He'd only finished the flower, deciding to do the flame the next day—the day I left.

   Unintentionally, I rubbed my shoulder blade again. It would also only be a matter of time until papa completed what he started.

   With that thought, I tugged myself over to the entryway before throwing the second door open. Only to be surprised when I saw one lanky bodyguard standing against the wall across from me.

   This was honestly offending. They thought he'd be enough to guard me, let alone stop me?

   I decided to hide my smile before leading us to the opposite end of the hall. One good thing about being stuck indoors was that I knew every damn crevice in the estate, as well as which halls didn't have cameras.

   For the next five minutes, I continued striding about my business, leading us down narrow halls and creakier floors. But I had to give the guy credit—he really stayed silent the whole time, never once asking where I was going.