19 | "Please Don't Leave Me"

Chapter Nineteen
"Please Don't Leave Me"

"she overcame everything that
was meant to destroy her,"
~ sylvester mcnutt III

┏━━━━━━━┓

My head was the first this to slam to the ground, after a heavy weight dropped on top of me.

My eyes were blurry while my vision formed with black dots. I was struggling to breathe, so I quickly tried to push the weight off me while simultaneously blinking rapidly.

The second my hands touched the thing responsible for my inability to breathe properly, I tensed up. Because it wasn't just a weight. It was a body.

I scrambled off the floor, so I could curl my knees under me. My vision clouded again, but I didn't have it in me to care. Because laying on the ground face up, was my brother.

"Mickie," I choked out, my clammy hands reaching out for his head. "Micah."

His eyes were closed, but slowly, they fluttered open while I laid his head on my lap. My hand shook as I brushed his blond hair away before looking over his body. The gun...

Blood was slowly pouring out of his wound, at a spot close to his lung.

"What did you do? What did you do?" I gasped, quickly pressing down on his wound with both my hands. I felt his blood warm my hands, and I felt acid burning down my throat. "You idiot."

Slowly, his lip curled to a faint smirk before he parted his lips to talk. He stopped halfway, only to cough out blood. I stopped breathing and ignored how my eyes started to burn before stuttering out, "D-don't talk. Everything will be fine." I paused and lifted my head, which was pounding harder as each second passed. "Someone please help!"

"Roza," he rasped before I felt a shaky, cold hand brush against my cheek. My wide eyes lowered to my brother, whose eyes were drooping as he tried to meet my gaze. "It's okay. It will be okay."

"Don't talk," I sniffed, pressing harder against his wound. I felt some of the blood escaping my hands, seeping into his dress shirt. "Everything will be fine. Just... just don't close your eyes, okay?"

"Roza—"

"Okay!?" I raised my voice, trying to sound demanding and tough, like how he spoke. But my voice cracked halfway through, and I knew I failed. "You don't get to leave. I'm not done annoying you yet."

His lip cracked again, just as a teardrop fell onto his cheek. I inhaled sharply and rubbed my cheek with my shoulder, not having realized that I'd started to cry.

"You can annoy V-Vladik now. It's okay." His hand was freezing as he tried to reach up for my face again. I lowered myself, so he could touch me, but the second he clasped my cheek, I started crying harder.

He started to shush me soothingly, but I couldn't stop the tears from falling as his voice cracked. "I'm so proud of you, Roza. S-so proud."

"Stop." I shook my head and pulled myself away from his grasp. "Stop. You don't get to talk like that. Someone will come. Someone will help."