3 | "I Wish Stabbing People Was Normal"

Chapter Three
   "I Wish Stabbing People Was Normal"

"death is nothing, it's life that's hard."
— charles bukowski

┏━━━━━━━┓

"He's bringing a friend," was the first thing Sydelle screeched into my ear when I answered her phone call, close to my Friday shift ending.

I rolled my eyes, but smiled, nonetheless. "I'm guessing that was your idea?"

"Whaat? No, of course not," she defended lamely while I walked to the front of the door. "He just happened to mention his friend and boom, double date. But with you guys far, far away from us."

Slowly, I twisted the sign hanging on the door, so it told the public that the shop was closed. I waited until I stepped back before sighing longingly. "What would I do without you, Syd?"

"Be a hater to all men?"

I leaned my back against the counter as I glared at the cooler across from me. "I'm not a hater to men. I just have to be... unavailable. You know this, Syd." I hated how broken I sounded.

She noticed it, too. "Lee..." She sighed, and I heard her shuffling, wherever she was. "I know. And I know why you can't be in a relationship, even though you totally could be in one in a heartbeat. But it is possible to have fun and not get attached."

I smiled sadly to myself. "This is me, Syd. I get attached easily."

"Damn your extrovertness."

"Damn it indeed," I chuckled, shaking my head. "Don't worry, I'll be fine with..."

"Kaden! You'll love him."

I narrowed my eyes on the cooler before circling the counter. "You haven't even met him," I deadpanned as I grabbed my bag from the shelf underneath the desk.

"But I bet he's nice!" She cheered hopefully, and I couldn't help but laugh, despite my slight worry.

After placing my phone on the counter, I quickly slipped out of my apron. Right when the phone was pressed against my ear again, Sydelle began talking. "When are you coming over?"

I checked the time on the clock that hung above the window. "Probably in an hour. Maybe two. I still have to get home and change."

Quickly putting on the alarm, I waited until the beeping began before stepping out into the humid, New York air. The sun was out still, so I and the rest of the public were victim to its heat.

Spinning on my heel, I faced the door and began locking up, keeping the phone between my ear and shoulder. "I'll text you when I'm on my way, Syd."

"Sounds good," she yawned. "By the way, I'm inviting you to Doris' birthday party."

   My hand froze on the handle, and my eyes felt like they were glazing over. "Why?"

   "Because she liked you when you guys met," she chuckled with amusement, and I thought back to when I met Doris--Sydelle's roommate first year of university. They'd grown close after the year, but I've seen her personally a handful of times.

   I made conversation with her easily, so I agreed and began moving my hand again. "Okay. When's the party?"

   "The first Friday of August." She sighed longingly into the phone. "I can't wait. And you're drinking tonight, right?"

    I tensed up. "No. I'll see you later, Syd." With that, I hung up before shoving my phone in my bag.

With a grumbled curse, I finished locking up and straightened, only to feel a tingle in the back of my neck, seconds before I saw a shadow standing, right behind me.