11 | "Let Those Assholes Find Me Now"

Chapter Eleven
   "Let Those Assholes Find Me Now"

"a woman with a voice is, by
definition, a strong woman."
— melinda gates

┏━━━━━━━┓

   Let those assholes find me now.

   I smiled like a villain on my ride back to New York, in a itchy black wig and even itchier clothes. But I had to play the part, and after all these years, I knew how to keep myself blended in.

   I'd spent two weeks, jumping from Canada and USA, and city to city, using my actual passport. The credit card I knew they had access to, was still working, so they could track every location I was going to. But by the time they got there, I was already long gone.

   This pattern kept on going for fourteen days. I only used the cash to settle into sketchy ass motels that didn't have cameras—luckily, I knew how to take care of myself.

   I went all the way to British Columbia in Canada, shuffled around there for a few days before returning to the US. It was easy to ignore the ache in my chest, not hearing from Sydelle or Luba. I was used to it, but I was also distracted, planning my next moves.

   When I was finally tired, I bought a new suitcase and clothes and headed to the airport. I bought a ticket with cash and slid into a seat that was farthest from prying eyes.

   Just to be safe, I took a few hours to get back to my apartment on Sunday. I was exhausted beyond belief, though, and when I took the stairs back to my place, I jumped into the shower and nearly passed out. Still, I wadded to my bed, towel wrapped around me, and fell on top of my comforter.

   I woke up Monday, still feeling dead tired despite it being almost two in the afternoon.

   Still, I dressed up in sweatpants and a tank top before treading to my purse—which sat on my upright luggage, pushed next to the kitchen counter next to the fridge.

   My hand moved inside its compartments before grasping the burner phone I bought before flying back to the city.

   With a yawn, I dialed my aunts number first before pressing the phone on my ear.

   I was sauntering back to my bed, yawning loudly and obnoxiously, when the ringing tone stopped. My breathing halted when all I heard was silence on the other end.

   After a few long seconds, I heard a choked, "Hello?"

   My shoulders sagged forward before I lowered myself down, so I was sitting on the ledge of the bed. "Hey, Lubs," I breathed out, cracking a smile while cradling the phone to my ear. "What's up?"

  Just like that, she started sniffing. "Oh, Alina, is that you?" She whispered, and I felt my eyes stinging. "God, I was thinking the worst. I thought they got you—"

   "Come on, you know me," I teased, keeping my tone light.

   But that didn't stop my body from reacting by clenching my legs together.

   "I do know you." She paused, but I could hear her breathing shaken before she added, "But I know them, too."

   For the next few moments, I said nothing. I didn't want to cave in to the useless emotion that was fear, but I didn't want to lie to her, either.

   So, I did what I did best and deflected.

   "You took me out for the semester, right?" I asked in confirmation.