14 Smolder's Revenge (1/3)

Wist, Luster, and Twist could only describe what they saw as a work of art. Never had they seen someone work so fluently with the most optimal of efficiency. It was like the creature they stared at was a literal part of the shop.

Pharynx displayed exemplary customer service. His memory of sundry candies within Twist's shop was astonishing. It would lead one to think that he was the actual owner of the shop.

"Wow," Twist said. "He's a real natural."

"Yeah," Luster agreed. "I should ask him for some pointers."

"Is it that surprising?" Wist questioned with her chin slumped on the checkout table. "Changelings are normally good at blending in the crowd, aren't they?"

"I don't know about that," Luster responded. "With the way he's maneuvering through customers, I'd say he's the reason the crowd exists."

"It's just customer service, Luster. It's not like he's regaling them with grand epiphanies."

What deserved more attention in Wist's perspective was the spare uniform that fitted his size. It was a clear white shirt with a black bow tie. A plain and ugly fashion choice that boggled Wist's mind of how he could walk around so proudly in.

"What I don't get is why he's acting like an employee when he's supposed to be my bodyguard," Wist raised her voice loud enough for Pharynx to hear. Despite it, Pharynx continued to aid customers.

"Don't be selfish with him," Luster advised. "He just wants to help us out."

"He's supposed to be observing me," Wist retorted. "Not injecting himself in my daily activities."

"So far you three appear to be lacking in your activities," Pharynx said to the three. "Y'all are still on your shift. Get back to work."

Luster and Twist flinched at Pharynx demand, causing Luster to slip her hoof off the counter and fall to the floor. Twist rushed to help her back up as Wist chuckled at Luster's humiliation.

Luster and Twist quickly reported to Pharynx in a firm line as if he was their captain. His control over the two made Wist question exactly who the boss of this shop was.

"I really appreciate your help, Pharynx," Twist thanked him. "Today has been booming since you've arrived. Oddly, with a spike of mares. I'll be sure to compensate you for your service."

"This place holds value to Wist," Pharynx said. "Its success must be guaranteed."

"And since when do you care what I like?" Wist questioned him. "You're just Thorax's watchdog making sure that I play nice in town, remember?"

Pharynx gave a brief glance at Wist before averting his eyes. His behavior only made Wist even more suspicious of him. Wist sensed his emotions to be sporadic and explosive, yet he did well to feign his stoicism.

Just what are you hiding from me, Wist wondered.

"Hey Pharynx," Luster said. "Do you think you can teach me some of your techniques? You have a way to speak with so many customers in a short time that it's astonishing."

"I can do that," Pharynx accepted. "But I have a question. Why has Wisteria spent her entire shift harbored behind the checkout counter?"

Wist narrowed her gaze at Pharynx. "Isn't it obvious?" She said, "I'm the cashier. Where else would I be?"

"Wist is a bit shy about walking about in her uniform," Twist revealed. "I hoped talking with customers from the counter would make her grow comfortable with it. Though, she's become quite attached to that spot."