2 The Key Ingredient for Devil's Dust (7/7)

Wist was careful to organize all the ingredients in each compartment of her saddlebag. Her mother will give her a mouthful of praises with how tidy she made things. Wist's careful placing and travels to the various locations in the forest took her hours of labor as the night inevitably dawned upon her during her travel back home.

However, when she finally returned to the hut, she discovered that there was no longer one. All around, she could see remnants of her home sprawled all across the clearing that was her yard.

Wist furrowed her brow in confusion as she stepped atop the floorboard that appeared to be the only thing recognizable. All of the furniture and decoration that she and her mother had collected over the years were now gone. Her home was in complete ruin.

"What in Equestria happened here," Wist wondered. Her eyes flailed about, trying to find where her mother was. But no matter where she looked, she was nowhere in sight. "Maybe she went to find material to make a new hut. I really hope she doesn't expect me to help...Who am I kidding, of course, she's going to."

Wist widened her eyes when they dawned upon a black blanket that was stuck upon a broken beam of the hut. Wist lit her magic and brought the sheet before her. It was her bedroom sheet, now torn apart.

Wist frowned. Her mother knitted this blanket. It was poorly made, but the love that came from it made it better than any other her mother bought for her. Maybe her mom could fix it when she comes back from collecting materials. But for now, it was still large enough to cover her body.

After placing the saddlebag off of her, Wist lit her horn and pulled a loose floorboard aside. Underneath was a small hiding place that Poison instructs her to go into when she has visitors.

Within her hiding place, there laid the necklace seashell she received from her friend. Placing it around her neck, Wist hid underneath the floorboard and pulled the blanket with her to wrap herself around. Though battered, Wist could still clutch upon the residual love that warmed her body.

When she wakes up, she's going to hear a mouthful from her mother and get worked to death making a new home for each other. But as long as she has her mother, that's all she will ever need.